Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 18, 2004, 4:08 PM   #1

Default Canon i960 Connection Question

I have a new Canon i960, and would like to connect it to two computers at once. It's currently set up on one computer, and shared over a network. This, however, causes a problem when the host computer is turned off. I noticed that there are 2 USB connections on the back of the printer - a USB 1.1, and a USB 2.0. Would it be possible to use both of these connections, one with each computer? Anyone have any ideas?
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2004, 8:56 PM   #2

Why don't you try it anf find out?

If it works, there will be a speed difference if one or both computers support USB 2.0, but the only 1 can utilize it and the other uses USB 1.1
almies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 1:27 PM   #3

Using both ports on 2 different machines will work without a problem.

Like he said though, there may be a speed difference, although in my experience the limiting factor is more how fast it can print rather than the connection speed, unless you are working with images that are very large (15+ mb).
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 1:55 PM   #4

The only thing I can think of is if they both do in fact work, you may have issues when both PCs are switched on .. I used to have that issue now and again when I had a printer connected to one PC with USB and another via the parallel port .. sometimes it would report back that the printer was off line and lock up.
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:01 PM   #5

Here at work we have several offices where there are 2 computers on the desk with one printer. They use a A - B Switch. So you just flip the switch depending on which computer you are going to be sending the signal from.
FastSS396Man is offline   Reply With Quote