Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Need printer for family photos, not sure what to buy.

A close family member wants a photo printer, if possible an all-in-one that can also make photocopies. Obviously I want a good quality printer, but the thing I'm unsure about is what route to go with the ink(OEM Carts, 3rd Party Carts, Refill Carts, CISS, etc), or even if they should consider a laser printer.

I'm not familiar with current day printer models so any help is appreciated
Thank you.
tgcujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:48 AM   #2

You definitely want to go with OEM inks. Third party inks always seem to cause more clogs. I've used epson and canon printers - currently an epson all-in-one. Works well. But, you have to keep in mind a couple things:
1) Printing yourself is a LOT more expensive than having someone else print - the paper and ink costs are pretty high.
2) Ink gets used up every time you turn on the printer an evaporates even when you don't - so if you print infrequently, it is REALLY cost ineffective.
3) Laser printers are great for other things, but to my knowledge they can't be used for photo-quality on photo paper. Could be wrong there, but photo paper requires ink to work properly.

With today's photo printers that use separate ink cartridges for the various colors you can count on spending $80-120 to replace the cartridges.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:15 AM   #3

Hi not sure what part of the world you live in but here in the UK we can get prints done online really cheaply now places like photobox and snapfish
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:34 PM   #4

I live in the USA, Northern California, sorry for not mentioning.
I'll pass the info on and let them make the call, thank you.
tgcujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:07 AM   #5

I have been using Canon printers for my work and photos but purchased a wireless Epson Artisan AIO for DVD printing and sharing with three other computers (wife and sons) wirelessly. Very convenient - I have both 4x6 photo paper and letter size bond paper sheets for text loaded in the cassete.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:28 AM   #6

All in one printers are attractive, but too many cooks spoil the broth. All in one printers are JUNK, unless you spend big $$. I recently had an HP commit suicide, but only just after I spent $70 to re-ink the abominable thing. And it wasn't a particular cheap model at that.

What I did would not be your cup of tea, but I wanted something reliable. I bought a small home/office printer, a Canon PIXMA iX6520. It cost $56 not 70 or 80 to re-ink, it will print up to a 13x19 borderless print, the calibration was spot on right out of the box. And it is 100% quieter an smoother than the HP, which jerked around worse than someone with convolutions.

But it only prints documents, and really great photos. Its not wireless, does not have card readers, does not copy or scan. But you get what you pay for, and I wanted a printer not a magical box, that breaks on a whim.

It also uses dye based ink, which is less prone to clog, lasts longer and dries quickly. I will never have any magic box, do it all or nothing! junker again.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".

Last edited by Steve40; Oct 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:41 AM   #7

I have never had luck with HP printers. A dozen new models every year with new cartridge types constantly changing and costing a bunch.

My Canon MP830 was a workhorse while printing 30-40 pages of color reports per week for 4 years. Replaced with MX850, which is stil going strong. Both Canons were AIO and have not had problems. The Epson Artisan is a 6 color dye ink printer that prints very good photos and has been used for 18 monts without a hitch. I would not buy a cheap printer that takes miniature cartridges like HP or Lexmark. Only downside to the Epson is the lack of black pigment ink for documents as per the Canon.

Basically you get what you pay for.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:26 PM   #8

I have an HP B8550. It does all sizes from 4x6 up to 13x19 and I have never had an issue with it. It takes 5 cartridges and yes it does use ink but if you want a reasonable priced ( 170 dollars ) printer that gives beautiful prints without a bunch of nozzle or other problems this is it. It takes 5 cartridges not 6,8, or 10 and does a great job. Don't take my word, check reviews on it. For half the price of the Epsons and Canons with less cartridges you can get a great printer. Not bashing the others just giving my honest user opinion. You don't see many people complaining about the B8550 on the printer forums.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote