Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:43 AM   #1

Default Epson r300 availability (or rather lack there-of)

Does anyone know the story behind the Epson r300 being out of stock at every store (at least in MA) and on every internet site (at least all the places I checked)?
Is it really just popularity, or are they having problems with a third-party vendor part that has caused them to stop production, or ?
Even epson's own site is out of stock at this point.
(Also - a related question - does anyone know where to order one from? Some sites will let you place an order - but who knows when they will deliver...).
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:06 AM   #2

Actually - looks like a bunch of sites just got some in.
B&H, NewEgg, bestbuy.com all have them now...
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:30 PM   #3

They are doing a very controlled release. Going back to economics and marketing in college, this makes sense as people ask exactly that - "is it really that popular?" and people tend to want what they can't have anyway. We've always done that to a degree with our printers and I'm sure our new ones coming out will go through the same process.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:58 PM   #4

Default bad business

Well, from what I have seen, there are a few people coming in looking for the R300, but not overwhelming considering no one has it. I would have thought that we would have a lot more people coming in trying to find the thing.

Overall though, I think it was a major goof up on Epson's part that during the peak of the holiday selling season, they had a product that was unavailable.

During December alone, we were selling on average 150 Canon i860s/i960s per week. Guess how many Epson R300s we sold per week on average? One, maybe.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbrian
They are doing a very controlled release.
Do you know this for a fact? If so then they are really stupid because they are losing lots of sales to Cannon and HP because of this especially in the Brick and Motar's. Talking to sales rep's at both staples and best-buy - they say folks come in looking for the r300 - but then end up buying something else because they are out of stock.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:49 PM   #6

Default Re: bad business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
Well, from what I have seen, there are a few people coming in looking for the R300, but not overwhelming considering no one has it. I would have thought that we would have a lot more people coming in trying to find the thing.

Overall though, I think it was a major goof up on Epson's part that during the peak of the holiday selling season, they had a product that was unavailable.

During December alone, we were selling on average 150 Canon i860s/i960s per week. Guess how many Epson R300s we sold per week on average? One, maybe.
it is pretty stupid, my bro was going to get one for Xmas, could find it anywhere and went with a different brand.
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 9:43 PM   #7

Default Try BestBuy

I ordered a R300 from BestBuy on January 15th and received it on January 22nd. Give them a try.
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 1:09 PM   #8

I have had an r300 on order since December 20, 2004. The vendor tells me that Epson is having a problem with a batch of these printers and they can not get them in stock. This tends to back me off even though I have seen decent reviews of the printer.

Any reaction to this information? Thanks
tom rakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 1:32 PM   #9

Henrys here in Canada has piles of them on their store floor and on their web site.
Staples also seems to have stock.
Stocking dosen't seem to be a problem in Canada this time. It was a nightmare trying to get the 2200 at first
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:15 AM   #10

Note my original post was back on Jan 23rd. The shortage here in MA now appears over as well - it. They seem to be avaible everywhere now (in stores and on line)..