Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Canon 560 vs 860- matte photo:3 or 4 inks used?(not glossy)

1. I prefer matte photo prints over glossy. Having read reviews I know that the 860 has a separate black ink for glossy, while the 560 uses only 3 inks for glossy photos.
2. If I print out on photo matte instead of glossy will the 560 use 4 inks or just 3?
tkz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

It does not matter if you are using glossy or matte paper.

The 860 and 560 have a pigment-based BCI-3 black for text printing and only text printing. This will not mix with color and it will not make a good looking b/w photo.

The 860 has 4 BCI-6 inks, including an extra black. This black is used only in photos or when black has to be mixed with color. It is dye based along with the rest of the photos.

The 560 does not have the extra black, so when it produces black in a photo it is using composite black, basically mixing the 3 colors to make black. It can get heavy on ink usage, especially if you do b/w photos but it also does not produce a true black - you can get purple tints a lot of times.

Hopefully that helps. If you haven't bought one yet, buy the 860. I own it and absolutely love it. Great looking photos, very fast and its cheap to operate.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:03 PM   #3

Default Thanks for the quick reply,, down to 860 and HP 7760

1. Thanks, that was what I suspected, but was unsure because of the wordeing of some reviews saying how the pigmented ink is incompatible with glossy photo paper...
2. I now have to decide between the 860 and 7760. The 7760 hase 6 colors and a color LCD for PCless printing and with rebate is the same price. The 860 has separate ink, 3X faster output and is better suited text printing.
Any suggestions?
tkz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:54 PM   #4

Default Re: Thanks for the quick reply,, down to 860 and HP 7760

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkz4
1. Thanks, that was what I suspected, but was unsure because of the wordeing of some reviews saying how the pigmented ink is incompatible with glossy photo paper...
2. I now have to decide between the 860 and 7760. The 7760 hase 6 colors and a color LCD for PCless printing and with rebate is the same price. The 860 has separate ink, 3X faster output and is better suited text printing.
Any suggestions?
Well, to me the Canon prints (albeit 4 color in the 860) still have more of a lab look and feel. The paper is heavier, glossier and it just feels to me more like something I could expect if I took a roll of film to Costco. The HP to me seems like its from an inkjet with the texture of the paper and the overall look of the finished product.
Money talks too - HP reps will tell you that the ink goes at the same level...I think not. My yellow is full, cyan is about 1/3 and my magenta is about 3/4. They couldn't be much farther apart. Plus, think about what you will be doing more of too...text or photos or a good mix?
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote