Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:31 PM   #1

Default Beyond photographs: i960 v. R300

I have been tuning in with interest at the recent posts discussing the merits/deficits of the i960 and R300.

The discussion has focused, appropriately, on these printers in regard to their photo quality. As I am weighing a purchase of one of these, I can't help but wonder how they compare in regard to their overall day-to-day performance.

How well do they work as general printers? Do they print text documents quickly? Is text clear? Are vector documents (from Illustrator, Quark) clean and accurate?

Thanks, Matt.
pearl37five is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2

I won't answer your question since I have ONLY looked at photo pints on these - I will tell you my opinion though...
I like having one printer exclusively for photos and another for regular documents. This way you aren't spending as much on ink - it probably comes out cheaper in the long run.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:08 AM   #3

Well, I can't say anything about the Epson but, I own the i960 and, it's meant to be a photo printer and, not, a text printer. While I don't think the text printing speeds are too terrible, I wouldn't want to do a lot of text printing on it day in and, day out. It is considerably slower than other units I've seen that are not just photo printers.
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:44 PM   #4

Default Photo printer vs text printer question

I have a Lexmark all in I for text printing and just purchased the
R300 for photo printing. Do yourself a favor, if you purchase a photo printer, then use it solely for that purpose. You can pickup a test printer rather inexpensively online. By the way, the R300 is a superb photo printer. I am extremely satisfied with the better the commercial quality photos that I have printed with it. Good luck.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:49 PM   #5

Default Photo printer vs text printer question

I have a Lexmark all in I for text printing and just purchased the
R300 for photo printing. Do yourself a favor, if you purchase a photo printer, then use it solely for that purpose. You can pickup a test printer rather inexpensively online. By the way, the R300 is a superb photo printer. I am extremely satisfied with the better the commercial quality photos that I have printed with it. Good luck.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:06 AM   #6

From a purist standpoint, having two printers (or more) would be ideal. From a realist standpoint, many of us just don't have the physical space needed for more than one printer. If I had the space, I would have purchased a laser printer for text printing a long time ago.

I recently purchased an i860. I felt it had the best balance of photo quality vs text and graphics speed. This printer flys through text. It has an extra large ink tank for text black (separate black ink tank for photos). It has a separate paper tray for 4x6 photo paper (like the i960). And I'd have to say it prints some darn nice photos.

If space is a concern and you really need a printer to do more than just photos, take a serious look at the i860.
ToddM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:16 AM   #7

the 'purist' argument only holds when text and images are printed on seperate pages. text w/o image -or- image w/o text.

for me there are three issues:

1) i live in NY and have a very small (but expensive) apartement without any extra space for multiple printers...or a toaster, or kitchen table, or....

2) because of my high rent, i can only afford one printer right now.

3) graphic design: i need to print pages that include text, lines, images, etc. i have large format and laser printers available at work when necessary, but i need a smaller format printer at home. so, while i generally do not have to print long text documents, it is especially important that the text i print is sharp and clear.

and thanks for the tip, i'll look at the i860.
pearl37five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:56 AM   #8

Default Text printing on R300

I purchased a R300 in about 6 weeks ago. It is a great photo printer -- but does a so-so job on text prinitng. The 'economy' mode is only useable to check layout. The print is far too faint to be able to use for review of 'draft' text documents. In high-quality mode, it prints about 2-3 pp/m which is ok for short documants - but not long reports. Also it chews up ink faster as well. It would be great if someone (Epson?) came out with a driver that allowed you to vary the resolution and density of the ink for printing text.
My previous printer was a HP 732 which did fair photos - but great text. I used the 'draft' mode almost all of the time for fast text printing. Unfortunately, I gave this to my daughter when I got the R300 and I don't think she would like it if I tried to get it back for text printing.
beach_traffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:58 AM   #9

I can tell you that the i960 does not print out great graphics. I was looking for a printer that would give me great photo and graphics printouts. When I called canon the tech told me that it was designed for photo printing that if I wanted a "really good" printout of graphics then to print on gloss paper. Well that is just not cost effective. It does do well when printing just text.

The HP 7960 Does great for printing out photos and graphics. BUT it leaves track marks across everything you print. Something to do with the "star" rollers (dunno maybe someone else can elaborate) I origionally bought the 7960 but returned it for the i960. If the HP 7760 doesnt have the tracks across it when it prints - then that would probably be the printer to go with. I would have kept the 7960 were it not for the track marks. In the store the salesmen took a picture and printed it out on the i960 and then the R300 - The i960 was more crisp and clear. The colors were also better in the i960. So thats why I went with it. I had origionally planned on returning the 7960 for the R300 - until I saw the printed picture.

I needed something that would print out great for home desktop printing and the occasional photo. I am also returning the i960 and am just going to use my HP 2110 all in one for desktop publishing. If I have photos then I will just take them and have them printed at the lab. In the long run I will save money because I dont print that many photos and it doesnt seem as though any photo printer will give you great graphics quality. I wanted something that would do both equally great. I am not going to go with another photo printer because as the tech at cannon put it "they were made for printing photos not graphics"
MsJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:18 AM   #10

Ms Joker have you tried canon hi resolution paper to print your graphics give it a try I think you'll be pleasantly surprized

http://estore.usa.canon.com/SearchRe...ordSearch=True

Quote:
I can tell you that the i960 does not print out great graphics. I was looking for a printer that would give me great photo and graphics printouts.
ltrez is offline   Reply With Quote