Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:39 PM   #1

Default 100 Year+ Prints out of an i960 or R300 ?

Kodak just released this today:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...61&newsLang=en

Kodak Ultima Picture Paper with COLORLAST Technology. They claim 100 years out of any inkjet printer even without glass, coating etc.. If this can be concluded by a 3rd party like Wilheilm (sp?) then that would be badass for those of us who have i960s and the like. No need to even think about the R800!
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:50 PM   #2

Default Kodak?

Why would you want to use Kodak paper on a Canon or Epson? From my experience, the Kodak paper is absolute trash for printing on Canon/Epson printers.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:22 PM   #3

Default Re: Kodak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
Why would you want to use Kodak paper on a Canon or Epson? From my experience, the Kodak paper is absolute trash for printing on Canon/Epson printers.
Sheesh I wasn't expecting that kind of response. You obviously missed the point. Also, if you setup the driver settings correctly it does a great job on the 960. There's definitely better alternatives like OEM paper or Red River, but it was just interesting that they came out with a paper that will give these printers 100 year prints.

Print Longevity seems to be a hot topic on here so I figured it would be an interesting addition to the conversation. My apologies mayhem if I offended YOU or YOUR PRINTER :roll:
Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:13 AM   #4

Default ack

Sorry, sorry.. did not mean to sound so.. harsh.

I have just had absolutely no luck with Kodak paper, and from consumer complaints I tend to get all the time, neither does the general public.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:29 AM   #5

I'd like to believe it works, and await testing by other parties.
It would be nice to find a paper that has real staying power and dosen't cost a huge amount per sheet.

I just remember the problems others have had in the past, like the old epson Archival matt paper, supposedly good for 90 years with pigment inks, that was suddenly renamed to epson enhanced matt when they found the paper starts to destruct and turn brownish after 30 years.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:58 PM   #6

interesting.. really... if they could produce these kinds of papers with the quality of tetenals 290gr photo paper, who would need pigmented inks? I wouldn't....

Otherwise, for longevity and quality.. buy Ilford Smooth Glossy 280gr... not as bright as the tetenal though.

But i will definitely try the new kodak paper, it might work. It might not. I'm picky.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 6:16 PM   #7

Default Have been able to get Kodak Ultima paper to work in s900

I have been able to get the Kodak Ultima paper to work in my canon S900 without serious issues. I am not as pleased with it as say RedRiver when it comes to skin tones but the RR Ultra Pro Glossy will last about 5-10 years so this could be a real boom for dye based printers (if it really lasts that long).

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 4:45 AM   #8

Default Re: 100 Year+ Prints out of an i960 or R300 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbrian
They claim 100 years out of any inkjet printer even without glass, coating etc..
Has anyone any idea how it works? All I can suggest is that there might be an ink-permeable, UV-opaque layer on the top surface.

If this can be done, Kodak will be the people to do it, because they achieved the astonishing feat of making Kodachrome work perfectly, and this involved diffusing the dyes in to the correct position in a stack of several emulsion layers. Kodachromes are pretty permanent as well!

It's a breakthrough if it's true, but we'll have to leave our grandchildren a reminder to take a look and claim a refund if necessary.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:02 PM   #9

Default Re: 100 Year+ Prints out of an i960 or R300 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbrian
They claim 100 years out of any inkjet printer even without glass, coating etc..
Has anyone any idea how it works? All I can suggest is that there might be an ink-permeable, UV-opaque layer on the top surface.
Yeah, basically its a 9-layer paper (compared to the usual of 4 layers between Canon and Epson) that's got one hell of a lot of different substances in it. Here's the nitty gritty:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/rese...ovations.shtml