Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Photo paper recommendations for the i960?

I have been using a Canon i960 for 2 weeks. The output is outstanding with the Canon paper that comes with the printer, particularly with landscapes and scenics. However, I have heard that Canon paper/ink combinations tend to fade quickly. I have had the printer far to short a period of time to know. Is this so?

What alternatives do I have in terms of different papers?

I have seen opinions that mention that some papers don't work well with the 960, others might "pool" on the paper, etc.

What papers would produce consistently excellent results with this printer?

Thanks,
Rich
rwolfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:48 PM   #2

Default Papers

First, regarding longevity. I have not seen the standard Canon papers (except the HR101) fade drastically over time. That is, after having them under flouresents (sp) and ambients for a few months. If you are worried about it, their Pro paper line is geared to be fade resistant for 25 years.

As for paper types, it is only the glossy paper types you have to worry about in terms of quality. Obviously Canon, but I have also used Epson and Olympus glossy paper with results similar/equal to the Canon paper. I really liked the Olympus paper, though it is tough to find and kinda pricey.

Do not use Kodak or HP paper. They look off color and end up coming out wet. Be careful of the generic third party stuff as well. You can always try new paper types and see for yourself, of course.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:27 PM   #3

Default Re: Photo paper recommendations for the i960?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolfert
I have been using a Canon i960 for 2 weeks. The output is outstanding with the Canon paper that comes with the printer, particularly with landscapes and scenics. However, I have heard that Canon paper/ink combinations tend to fade quickly. I have had the printer far to short a period of time to know. Is this so?

What alternatives do I have in terms of different papers?

I have seen opinions that mention that some papers don't work well with the 960, others might "pool" on the paper, etc.

What papers would produce consistently excellent results with this printer?

Thanks,
Rich
Canon pro paper does a great job. Red River paper also does a great job. It tends to be less expensive and from what people in here have said, offers the same image quality and is more fade resistant.

Despite what our friend mayhem said, you might check out this article: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...61&newsLang=en

I'm not the biggest fan of the Kodak paper, but they are claiming this paper will last 100+ years fade resistance with this new paper. Once it comes out we'll have to see how it performs color wise.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote