Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:23 AM   #1

Default The Canon i9100 kills!

The i9100 kills

I beat it but it still talked to me with kindness.

It's the best printer I've ever seen, and it's 19 inch prints are blockbusters. I guarantee, personally, that you will not only be happy, but you will be amazed. Yep, it's like a photo studio, and a good one at that. It's as good as I had hoped, and I'm happier with it than I am with "L" lenses, although my present (and probably temporary) disdain for "L" lenses is no doubt because of my own ineptness at how to use them properly.

Would I recommend the wide range over the 8x11? Absolutely, it's like comparing a hut in South America with a cathedral in Italy or France with high towers. No comarisonismo...

Finally something that lives up to the hype!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:41 PM   #2

Norm,

Read the breaking news section and weep! Canon just announced the i9900. I just couldn't imagine anything better than my S9000 in the same price range. Until I saw some really good i9100 prints. Now you'll be in the same boat I was in.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:01 AM   #3

I'm already trying to figure out how to get ahold of it. I got my i9100 in July when they first came out. I have to say that I was a little disappointed that they did not develop pigmented inks for this new printer.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:35 AM   #4
NHL

It's not available yet... I guess we'll all have to agonize a few more months. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Read the breaking news section and weep!
wsandman1...

I'm just getting off the 842C and 722 HP wagon so it's going to be awhile before I do any weeping, no matter what comes out in the near future.

I think in this crazy world of technology that if one wishes to maintain an ounce of sanity one needs to learn how to become pleasantly content with a purchase without suffering withdrawl when the next model comes out with a touch better.

I was happy with this printer when I first tested it and remain so, no matter how many fresh models arrive that claim to top it's output. I can certainly appreciate and understand fully your excitement at the "printer wars" since it's only the consumer who will benefit.

Canon's aready announced a new 10x optical with great video potential as well. I'm sure this will drive the new FZ10 owners into a fresh frenzy as well. Not me, I have the FZ10 and it's gonna do just fine for places where I don't wish to haul around my SLR stuff.

A guy just needs to learn to be content. I was happy with this printer's output quality when I bought it and no number of new models that arrive will change that opinion. Happy is happy unless "greedy" takes over.

Hmm, I wonder how much they're gonna ask for.... (hehe)
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:54 AM   #6

Agree Norm. I'm using the Canon i960 and think the output is marvelous. True, I'm limited to 8X10, but to be honest, I don't foresee printing enough 11X14's to justify the cost of a new printer and having the paper on hand. For those "special" prints, I'll have it done for me (or I guess I could always send the file to you, eh? heh heh heh).

I've had two printers sitting on my desk for over a month now (the i960 is strictly for photos) and the wife asked yesterday "how many printers do you have?". I didn't mention the one in the closet and I'm sure she would not fully understand my need for yet another printer. She's just now coming down from the walls after my 70-200 f/2.8 IS purchase :shock:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:54 AM   #7

ohenry...

The i960 probably provides the same output as the i9100 (since it appears that everything besides size is the same) and the only reason I personally purchased large format was to print out sports photographs for sale to spectators and team members at our Provincials Basketball tournament that's coming up in March. The school volunteered the cost on this one since the earning potential, especially with larger prints, could possibly almost pay for the printer.

That's how I'm justifying some of my new lenses as well (but I'm paying for these myself because lenses are a bit more of a long term investment and I don't want anyone to "own" them but myself).

Although I'd probably get rid of that 75-300 fairly quickly if an offer arose.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:41 PM   #8

Normcar,

I hope you knew I was joking about the read it and weep stuff. I really don't see myself replacing my S9000 anytime soon. Although I'm a bit curious about the choices Canon made for the extended color cartridges (red and green!). I was expecting another shade of black/grey or a pigment ink model for longevity. The regular photos are all okay, but in a place where you're selling photos at a live event, the large photos sell themselves!

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:18 PM   #9

wsandman1...

I was wondering the same about the choice of cartridge colors. They seem to have scored on the photo cyan and magenta so I certainly won't debate the matter...

And, yes, I have no problem accepting the jokiness of your statement. Let me know if you discover why those colors were chosen.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 5:58 PM   #10

8 individual color cartridges...that is all I can say.

According to my brother in-law (graphics art shop owner) the color orange is the most difficult to reproduce.

That is obviously where the i9900 is heading according to the Canon press release.

The green...well you'll get some nice nature shots.

link to press release http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca..._i9900_pr.html

from press release:
The red ink tank allows for an approximately 60% increase in the orange/red gamut over six-color printing and provides for previously unobtainable orange hues and well as richer reds. The green ink adds about 30% increase in green gamut as compared to six-color printing and creates more accurate and deeper greens in grass and foliage

I don't see myself moving up from my S900 until the $500 price tag drops considerably.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote