Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:35 PM   #1

Default Help choosing a new photo printer

Hi All

I've been using an Epson Stylus Photo R300 for many years and have been very pleased with the photo quality I can get upto A4 on decent photo paper. The time has now come to upgrade it.

I'm not looking to spend more than around 200 but I want to get the best photos I can from the printer. Brand wise, I would consider another Epson or a Canon, but the reviews are so confusing!

I thought I had settled on an Epson Photo PX830 (found one for 150) but they tell me it's been discontinued. Then there is the PX730 but is this as good? Then I saw the Canon Pixma iX6550 recommended for photo quality.

My Requirements are:

To be used with Imac with photoshop & lightroom
Not for commercial purposes, just to print at home for albums and frames occasionally
Wireless so I can keep it in a cupboard
I want the best quality photo printing possible for my budget (colour & B&W)

Anything else such as a good scanner, decent text printing, fast speeds etc are just an added bonus. My main consideration is best quality for reasonable up front cost of printer. I will never print directly from memory cards directly through the printer, it will always be via my computer.

I know it works out cheaper to send photos off to a printer, but I quite enjoy having the ability to print photos myself when I wish to. Ink costs etc are not a concern.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Finally - does anybody know whether the new Epson Expression range is any good? They seem to be replacing the Stylus range in the shops but I can't find many reviews!

Thanks
pete146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:07 PM   #2

Default New printer

I bought a Epson Stylus Photo R 2880 and am very pleased with it.
quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3

I have had the printers you have mentioned: Epson, Canon, and HP.
Canon was very quiet but didn't last...it stopped working...still have a lot of black ink left. My roomy has a Kodak he likes.
But, the last two printers I have currently, have two computer stations, are HP. Both print photos excellently, copy as well and one faxes. They were reasonably priced...most are. Reason I like them best is they have double slots for paper one for 4x6 and 8x10 photo or reg. Most of my printing is photos...
If I were looking to buy one now I would get another Hp...would love to get a Big printer...hehehe but do not need one at this time...or have the space.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:27 PM   #4

I used an ink-jet color printer (a Canon S500) for many years, with excellent-looking results. However, I had doubts about the prints eventually fading, and worse, I was resentful of the exorbitant cost of ink (a brazen rip-off).

So (just for printing pictures) I now use a small (Canon Selphy CP780) dye-sub printer. It prints only postcard size, but 99% of the time that's all I need. The prints' quality is excellent - and they are waterproof too. I once accidentally dropped one in the garden - it rained overnight, but there was no damage whatsoever to the print.

If I ever want a bigger print of a picture I can go to a downtown photographic store.

None of this really answers your questions, but the factors may be worth considering.

Last edited by Herb; Dec 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM. Reason: syntax
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote