Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:05 PM   #1

Default Canon i960 vs. HP 7960

8) I,m in the market for a new photo printer. Canon i960 vs. HP 7960, Which is better for all around color photos.
tsnawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 7:06 PM   #2

I prefer the color output of the i960 over the HP7960. On the other hand, the 7960 is superior with B&W. Longevity of prints is always a hot topic and supposedly the new HP papers for the 7960 are superior.

I use a i960 with Red River papers which are supposed to have fairly good longevity. I'll let you know in 25 years
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:31 AM   #3

The HP papers tend to be expensive - not that you would necessarily have to use them (I was shocked when I saw they were typically DOUBLE the price of the same premium quality papers by Epson and other brands). I really liked the i960 over the HP personally - although in the end I opted for the Epson R300.
Between those two - I'd go with the Cannon. Take a look at the R300 if you haven't yet. I do like the card readers on the HP and Epson which the i960 doesn't have. I never print directly but like using them for download (most cameras only transfer at the slower USB speed - plus you need to fumble with cables to your camera - I find using the printer's reader faster and easier) - this shouldn't be a huge factor though since you can get a USB card reader for almost nothing these days.
In any case - I don't think you can go wrong with either printer.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:31 PM   #4

Default Canon's individual ink tanks are a plus over the HP

The Canon individual ink tanks are a real plus over the HP's multi color cartridges. I use the older S900 over the last two years I have saved some money on ink with the individual tanks. As far as the HP longeivity. That only comes with the combination of their inks and their top of the line preimum paper (which is rated at 75 years). Kodak now has a new ultima paper which is rated at 100 years. We will need to see a little more in the near future on this new paper, I read the paper on how it works and needed to Motrin tablets after I was done reading it. THe bottom line is that it has something like 9 layers on it and will work with Epson and Canon printer. I have been able to get it to work with my S900 with no problems. I use to prefer the Red River Ultra Pro glossy (5-10 years) because I thought it did skin tones better than the old Ultima papers. THis new paper has corrected that IMHO. I agree with the prior poster that the HP will do B&W better than any Canon will.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:09 PM   #5

I switched from a HP 7550 to a Canon i960 because of the ink price. HP's inks are expensive, and I found I needed to replace both the tri color and photo color cartridges at the same time (I only use it for printing pictures). That is $60 in ink! Canon's six ink system seems to need replacement of the two photo color cartridges the most frequent. A cartridge costs about $12.

As for paper, I just got my RedRiver sample packs. Its nice to have the samples and actually be able to feel the different papers.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:17 PM   #6

Barthold....I can highly recommend downloading the free ICC profiles from Red River for their papers and the i960.

The sample pack was a great way to see the papers and how they perform. I printed the same print to each paper that interested me (this was on an HP before moving to the i960). I've been very pleased with both the polar glossy and satin papers.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote