Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:51 PM   #1

Default PIM or EXIF?

Hi all. I am currently investigating buying a Photo printer for my Minolta F100.

Does PIM printers (EPSON) offer any significant printing advantage as far as quality over an EXIF (Canon) printer or vice-versa?

Any help would gladly be appreciated.

TIA!
JNGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2002, 5:59 AM   #2
NHL

PIM is part of the EXIF header, so they are talking about the same thing... PIM is pushed by Epson and adopted by several manufacturers, while Canon late to the game, and don't want to pay for PIM licence probably do the samething in their own proprietary way. It's just extra information stuffed in the optional header part of a jpeg file that all camera uses...

[Edited on 8-19-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 6:27 AM   #3

my question is are you going to print directly thru the printer or are you going to use PS 7, PSP or another photo program for tweaking?

PIM and EXIF print- are both designed to give you a "good" print without playing around in a photo program. in a word- no digital darkroom required.
great for the point and shoot people

http://www.printimagematching.com/pd...bridged_wp.pdf

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/printers/exif_print.html

PIM is propriatary in nature
pim requires an additional tag embedded in the exif data. your f100 supports this. it is PIM enabled.
yours also supports EXIF 2.2 for the canon.
oh the confusion.
i use an epson 1270. very happy
i have a epson 2200 on order very very happy. very expensive.

i own a D7i

original DiMAGE 7 is Exif Ver. 2.1 compliant. not 2.2. with the upgrade it now is 2.2 compliant

DiMage 7i is Exif 2.2 compliant. so i'm good.

you have many choices now. but is down to which models your looking at.

[Edited on 8-19-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 7:06 AM   #4

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/printers/s900/index.html
canon s900
current price for above at buy.com is $314 w/free shipping as of today. i like the individual ink cartridges and they are about $10 per color 6 colors.

epson does not offer individual color ink carts in any models below the 2200/2000p models at this time. with canon now becoming a player i'd expect a different view this fall at photo plus maybe. i say maybe because i hear a lot of people saying that on epson machines the color ink runs down pretty much equal. i find that a little interesting. i think i'll print a lot of red things for christmas and find out.

both epson and canon have other ink suppliers available such as rhinotek. i cannot vouch for their longevity versus the original manufacturers cartridges.

http://www.atlex.com/

they supply original manufacturers ink cartridges at reasonable cost.

Old Aug 19, 2002, 8:18 AM   #5

sjms,

Thanks for all the great info, it is much appreciated! I consider myself a point and shoot kinda guy using only JASC aftershot to "correct" dark pics when needed.

As for printers, knowing that both PIM and EXIF will basically provide better printing, it basically comes down to the make/model printer.

Any recommendations for the $200 and under range. I currently have a Lexmark Z52 but the cartridges (especially the color) are too damn expensive! I am looking for quality prints, relatively low cost of ownership, and versatility in the type of paper brands that I can use.

Thanks!
JNGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 8:29 AM   #6

then i would say epson is the winner by a nose.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=31101&loc=101

the 785epx series is nearing the end of their marketing cycle. this is not to say its no good they just gotta sell you the new bright and shiney stuff soon or the marketing people get nervous about their jobs. for the money really good stuff. i won't quote "state of the art" cause that will alway be the new stuff.

blk cart 18.28
color 14.79
purchase at a ratio of 3-4 color to 1 blk

this is just a suggestion.