3 - EPSON 300

I CAN GET THE CANON I860 FOR $ 125 - ABOUT $50 LESS THAN THE OTHER TWO

CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

LOU
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2004, 5:39 PM   #2

Default choices

How much text print vs photo printing were you going to do?

If you plan on doing mostly text/document type, or at least a larger amount of it than photos, then go the i860. It is one hell of a photo printer, but also a speed demon with a dedicated black text cartridge.

If it is primarily photos, with the occasional text/doc stuff, then the i960 or R300 would be a fine choice.

Between the two, I would tend to go the i960. It is a lot faster than the Epson and I personally like the dedicated 4x6 photo tray.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 7:31 PM   #3

Default Re: choices

IF the i869 is "a heck of a one heck of a photo printer, but also a speed demon with a dedicated black text cartridge" & is cheaper than the i960, what would be the advantage of the i960? By the way,I don't plan to access the photos other than from my pc. doesn't the i860 have a 4x6 slot?

i'm still not sute of what the advantage is to spending $50 more

If you plan on doing mostly text/document type, or at least a larger amount of it than photos, then go the i860. It is one heck of a photo printer, but also a speed demon with a dedicated black text cartridge.

If it is primarily photos, with the occasional text/doc stuff, then the i960 or R300 would be a fine choice.

Between the two, I would tend to go the i960. It is a lot faster than the Epson and I personally like the dedicated 4x6 photo tray.[/quote]
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:53 PM   #4

Default differences

The i860 is a 4 color printer (photo black, cyan, magent, yellow) with a 5th cartridge - text black.

It is indeed one hell of a photo printer. The output on it is stunning.

The advantage you get with a six color unit (i960/R300) is that they drop out the black text cartridge and add a photo magenta and photo cyan. So with the six color setup you get a greater gradational range for printing. Think of it as more crayons in your box.

So, as you said, you will be using the printer primarily for phots with the occasional text stuff - go a six color printer.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:15 AM   #5

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

AFTER WHAT YOU'VE TOLD ME I COME UP WITH A DIFFERENT CONCLUSION. I BELIEVED YOU WHEN YOU SAID "STUNNING" ABOUT THE I860

THEREFORE I DON'T THINK I'LL SPEND THE EXTRA $50 FOR THE I960 TO MAKE AN ENHANCEMENT TO "STUNNING" (IN YOUR OWN WORDS) OR PAY THE EXTRA OPERATIONAL COST FOR MORE CARTRIDGES

LOU

YOUR QUOTE:
The i860 is a 4 color printer (photo black, cyan, magent, yellow) with a 5th cartridge - text black.

It is indeed one heck of a photo printer. The output on it is stunning.

The advantage you get with a six color unit (i960/R300) is that they drop out the black text cartridge and add a photo magenta and photo cyan. So with the six color setup you get a greater gradational range for printing. Think of it as more crayons in your box.

So, as you said, you will be using the printer primarily for phots with the occasional text stuff - go a six color printer.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:19 PM   #6
csd

I recently bought the R300 - and have been extremely happy with it. The i960 is a great printer as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I do use the R300's card slots for downloads to my PC (not for direct printing). I upgraded an older PC to WinXP and bought a new PC with WinXP then discovered my older CF reader wasn't compatible so the card slot on the printer came in handy. This isn't a major consideration since you can buy USB2.0 card readers these days for almost nothing but is a convenience.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 5:04 PM   #7

ANY PARTICULAR READON YOU IGNORED MENTIONING THE I860

IT'S $50 CHEAPER THAN I960 WHAT WOULD I BE MISSING. I DON'T NEED TO DOWNLOAD TO THE PRINTER OR LOOK AT MY PHOTOS ON THE PRINTER EVEN

LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
I recently bought the R300 - and have been extremely happy with it. The i960 is a great printer as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I do use the R300's card slots for downloads to my PC (not for direct printing). I upgraded an older PC to WinXP and bought a new PC with WinXP then discovered my older CF reader wasn't compatible so the card slot on the printer came in handy. This isn't a major consideration since you can buy USB2.0 card readers these days for almost nothing but is a convenience.