Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 15, 2004, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Canon i960 vrs Epson r300 Decision...

I have a Canon G3 camera and am seriously looking for a photo printer. I an interested in the Canon i960 and the Epson r300. Can someone who has used either or both printers tell me about there experiences with the printer(s). I need help in deciding which one to get..Thanks
garylykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:20 PM   #2

Default Printer decision

garylykins,

I recently purchased the Epson R300 printer. I have been completely satisfied with the results. The gradation and resolution are perfect. In many cases, my prints are better than the originals that I have scanned into my pc. I scanned a studio print of my grandkids into the pc and printed out some 5/7s. They were an exact duplicate of the original. I use the inboard card reader to save to my pc. Have not printed directly from the card reader. The film factory software is extremely good. I am using Epson premium glossy photo paper and it is superb. I have not regretted this purchase. I looked very closley at the Canon i960, reading reviews from both printers. I have had 2 canon text printers in the past and was not completely satisifed with them and that infuenced me also to purchase the R300. The only way to know for sure is to go to a store and take your memory card and ask them to print a pic on both printers if they will. Let me know what you do.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 7:18 AM   #3
csd

I recently bought the R300. Both seemed to have excellent resolution/picture quality - colors on the Epson seemed to jump out more to me. I also thought the card slots on the Epson would be convenient for download.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:12 AM   #4

Default R300 printer decision

The onboard card reader really works well with the filmfactory software that comes with the printer. It is also easier to print the pics using the filmfactory software vs print wizard. Be sure to always to click on to photo preview to ensure that is how you want you pic to print out. I have read alot about the R300 using an unusual amount of ink. I have printed out several dozen pics and still have not had to replace the orignal ink tanks that came with the printer. Most of them are still about 1/2 full. You will not be disappointed with the R300 printer.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:47 PM   #5

The card reader feature I suppose but, 90% of my pics goes through some type of editing process so to me, it's moot. You can directly hook your PictBridge compatible camera up to the i960 and, get the same results. The CD printing feature is nice on the Epson too but again, only if you plan on printing a decent number of CD's.
What you have to do is see prints off each one. They're both good printers. The Canon is a little faster and, some people think the colors look better on the Epson but it uses more ink. All things are debatable. One thing that swayed me towards the Canon (and don't laugh) was the fact that when I picked the two printers up, the Canon felt very substantial and, the Epson was much lighter. Yea, I know, not a very scientific way but, it was just another factor that led me to purchase the i960.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoso
You can directly hook your PictBridge compatible camera up to the i960 and, get the same results.
Mark
The results are NOT really the same in most cases since most cameras and PictBridge interfaces only transfer at USB1.1 speed (12Mbps) while the card reader on the R300 is USB2.0 speed (480Mbps!). When reading a 1GB card - this is the difference between having to walk away for 30 minutes or simply wait 2 minutes. Also - I don't like fumbling with the camera cable everytime. This is a minor point though since you can get a USB2.0 card reader for almost nothing nowadays but the reader on the epson is darn convenient.

So - forgetting this fact - I still like the Epson R300 better. They are both great printers but the epson's prints looked just slightly better to me - colors seem to jump right off the print.
You should do a search on i960 and r300 in this forum - this topic has been discussed in other threads several times recently.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:54 PM   #7

Like I said, basically, you have to make your own decision based on your needs. I've rarely seen a digital picture that couldn't us a little retouching so, like I said, a card reader really doesn't hold that much importance to me.
As far as speed goes, I understand what you're talking about between data transfer rates. However, the Canon prints a borderless 4X6 in about a third ot the time as the Epson so, if you're going to be printing out 1GB of ohotos, you would more than use the time you saved transfering the pictures!

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:01 PM   #8

Typically I pull down my pics - edit them - then start a large print job. By the time I start the large print job - I'm ready for bed. So in my case - the speed of getting the pics off my camera and into the computer is important - but since my pics usual print while I'm sleeping - I don't pay particular attention to print speed.
Like you said - its all a matter of individual preferences, work habbits, etc.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:21 AM   #9

Default I chose the Canon i960

I faced the same decision a couple months ago. I chose the i960 and I'm thrilled.

My reasoning:
The i960 is faster without sacrificing quality. No doubt both produce outstanding prints, but the i960 is approx 50% faster. The R300 CD printing ability is quite the feature. But ultimately I wanted a photo printer. CD/DVD printing was just a nice bonus for the R300. Not a deciding factor.

I already have a firewire CF reader. I'm not certain of the benefit of a seven in one reader. My camera only shoots CF. So it's all I need. So this didn't weigh into the decision.

The i960 felt more solid. This may or not be an indicator of quality. But I found it reassuring.

The Epson doesn't have opaque ink cartridges. Epson (and probably other mfrs) has been know to be deceptive about ink usage. With the Canon you know if an ink cartridge is truly empty.

After all of this I was about ready to choose the i960. Then I read the Macworld review and I knew the i960 was the choice for me. To summarize the review (though you can read it online): both are good printers but the i960 has the edge in detail. The colors for the R300 are better out of the box, but if you profile your printer the i960 has the better color fidelity. I alway profile my printer so the decision was clear.

Good luck with your printer.
Nicho1as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:03 AM   #10

The judges at the recent DIMA conference chose the R300 over the i960 in the annual shootout for the "8.5 wide or less - $100 to $199" category:

http://dima.pmai.org/pdf/2004_printer_winners.pdf

So given they are both great pritners - if you are still undecided you can weigh in these pro-judges opinions....