Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 18, 2004, 1:48 PM   #1

Default Canon i860 Graininess Issues

Well, after reading several glowing reviews from numerous sources, I decided it was time to upgrade printers, and picked up a Canon i860. Plugged it in after it arrived yesterday and to my dismay after using the Canon Photo Paper Pro, which shipped with the printer, noticed a completely unaccetpable amount of graininess in my images. Compared to my old HP 932, they look horrific.

Figuring that this must be an issue either with how I'm using the printer, or the printer hardware itself, I figured I'd post to the board to see if anyone else has had this issue, and if so what I can try to resolve it.

A few notes: I used the Print Advisor to choose that I wanted to print and photo, and then chose the type of paper, figuring that (like my old HP) the proper settings would then be made. I even went in an adjusted the quality to fine.

The pics in question were shot with an Olympus 5050, SHQ (5MP). The comparisons I've made are with the same image...(Used the Canon software to print) on the Canon, and HP software to print with the HP.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have!
boiler1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:37 PM   #2

Default --

My first suggestion would be to NOT use the print advisor and just go through the Easy Photo Print software that came included on the CD with the printer.

Just pick the image, the paper size and type, then layout - then print. See how they look then.

Also, not to insult you but just checking, that you are printing on the glossy side (I have had folks print on the wrong side before)

Also, keep using Canon glossy paper for the moment, just to keep the third party paper issue out of the quality check.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3

Problem solved. I reseated the print head and the ink cartridges, and re-ran the Nozzle Check Pattern and Alignment utilities, and whammo, pictures look great now! I can say, like most everyone else, that I am thoroughly impressed!

Thanks!
boiler1111 is offline   Reply With Quote