Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 19, 2004, 8:57 AM   #1

Default EPSON 300 VS I860

THE I860 HAS SPECIAL 4X6 TRAY THAT CAN BE LOADED WITH 4X PAPER AS WELL AS THE LETTEER SIZE TRAY

I KNOW THAT YOU CAN PRINT 4X6 WITH THE EPSON BUT DOES IT REQUIRE CHANGING THE PAPER?

LOU
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:27 PM   #2

Default yes

yes, you would have to change the paper on the R300 for different sizes.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:51 PM   #3

The rear feed slider on the R300 is pretty quick/easy to change. This used to annoy me on an older HP printer I had when I had to change sizes - I would have to change both a vertical and horizontal slide -(of course most HP's now have the 4X6 now) on the espon - there is only one adjustment and it is really easy. I tend to leave 4x6 loaded in the epson all the time then swap when I am printing bigger sizes. Of course this is easy for me because I have a second cheaper printer I use for regular non/photo printing.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:18 PM   #4

So is not having to change paper from 4x6 to 8 1/2 x 11 a particular advantage of the i860
lLOU

quote="cczych"]The rear feed slider on the R300 is pretty quick/easy to change. This used to annoy me on an older HP printer I had when I had to change sizes - I would have to change both a vertical and horizontal slide -(of course most HP's now have the 4X6 now) on the espon - there is only one adjustment and it is really easy. I tend to leave 4x6 loaded in the epson all the time then swap when I am printing bigger sizes. Of course this is easy for me because I have a second cheaper printer I use for regular non/photo printing.[/quote]
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:21 PM   #5

I think it's an advantage. I mean, all you have to do is turn a knob and you engage the 4 X 6 paper. ON the other hand, the Epson does have 6 ink tanks compared to 5 for the Canon and, you can print CD on the Epson?
Everything's a trade off!

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:23 PM   #6

THOSE ARE SOME NICE FIRST PHOTOS, MARK.

THE WILDWOOD SHOTS OF THE HARBOR REMIND OF SUMMERS DOWN THE SHORE IN MY COOLEGE DAYS.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN " CAN PRONT ON CD'S - RIGHT ON THE CD OR ON SPECIAL PAPER THAT GOES ON THE CD'S

I'M GETTING CLOSE TO MAKING A DECISION - I HOPE NEITHER ONE WOULD BE A MISTAKE. IT'S GOOD WHEN YOU CAN NARROW DOWN TO 2 CHOICES LIKE THAT.

LOU
quote="mkoso"]I think it's an advantage. I mean, all you have to do is turn a knob and you engage the 4 X 6 paper. ON the other hand, the Epson does have 6 ink tanks compared to 5 for the Canon and, you can print CD on the Epson?
Everything's a trade off!

Mark[/quote]
Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:56 PM   #7
csd

You can print directly on CD's that have an inkjet printable surface. Not waterproof but who runs their CDs under water.

Just as a side-bar - Pretty soon they will come out with CD/DVD burners whereby the same laser that reads/burns the CD/DVD will also burn an image on the opposite side. So you will be able to burn your CD - then flip it over to burn the label right on!
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:31 PM   #8

Default ;-)

Well, if you want the six color AND the dual paper tray, go the Canon i960 then.

No trade offs then.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:04 AM   #9

The judges at the recent DIMA conference chose the R300 over the i960 in the annual shootout for the "8.5 wide or less - $100 to $199" category:

http://dima.pmai.org/pdf/2004_printer_winners.pdf

So given they are both great pritners - if you are still undecided you can weigh in these pro-judges opinions....
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczych
The judges at the recent DIMA conference chose the R300 over the i960 in the annual shootout for the "8.5 wide or less - $100 to $199" category:

http://dima.pmai.org/pdf/2004_printer_winners.pdf

So given they are both great pritners - if you are still undecided you can weigh in these pro-judges opinions....
Do you know how these printers were judged?? The link was just a list of winners. I'd like to read the whole article or find out what criteria they were judged on.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote