Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:40 PM   #1

Default New printer?

Hello,

Im in the market for a new printer! I currently just upload my photos to picturetrail and have them printed, or take them on a cd to officemax, but im wanting to print them myself, I have a lexmark z65, and its just for reg printing. I want a printer that prints awesome quality pics.
If I could get some feedback on printers I would appreciate it! THanks
Delecia
*Delecia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:31 PM   #2

Umm, what are you looking for, pricewise and such. There's a lot out there.
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:34 AM   #3

Well, I want something that prints very high quality pictures, the printer i have now just aint cuttin it. Price does'nt really matter as much,,,, i want the best printer i can get!
I've been doing some research on cnet, but there are so many to chose from! :roll:
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:20 AM   #4

If price is no object look at wide format printers. The Canon i9900 is about to be released and will probably be the best quality you can get in wide format for a while. The Epson 2200 uses pigmented ink which isnít going to fade on you as much. The Canon i9100 is available now with very nice quality and amazing speed. The Canons are at least 3 times as fast as the Epsons.

You can easily refill the Canons and there is good aftermarket ink available. Epson adds a degree of difficulty if you want to refill as you have to deprogram the chip or get cartridges with a chip that will fool the printer.

If you want a small format printer you canít do better than the Canon i960 IMO.

Read through Steveís reviews of any you are interested in: http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html It appears Steve has chosen the Canon i9100 as his personal printer, and he obviously has experience with all of the better printers.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 4:14 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply! It was very helpfull
I did'nt realize steve had a printer review, i only knew about the dig cam review!
This sounds like a printer I would deffinately like to get(i9100)
Now another quick question, For pictures and such I would obviously use the i9100 but if i wanted to print paperwork etc would it be wise to keep my lexmark i have now,, i have heard of people having more then 1 printer.
Lmk you opinion on that!
Thanks
Delecia
Old Feb 20, 2004, 4:26 PM   #6

If you do not plan on printing larger than 8.5X10 then I would buy the Canon i960. Slipe has already pointed out the quality and speed of the canon printers. If you want to print only 4X6 printers then look at the HiTi 630 or 640 series. They are dyesub printers that will rival any photo shop printer. www.hitouchimaging.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:05 PM   #7

You will not be happy with the text from most photo printers. And text will use up your photo black tank pretty quickly. I would keep the Lexmark if you get the i9100 or any 6 color photo printer. I still have my HP 930 as my default printer. It is easy to just select the photo printer if you want to do photos.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:26 PM   #8

Default New Printer?

Another printer to consider is the new Epson r800, due to be officially released tomorrow, Monday, Feb 22 (according to an Epson rep I spoke to at CompUSA). It is the new brother to the Epson r300. It uses a pigment based ink like the Epson 2200 and there is a very good review at the website www.photo-i.co.uk. Also, I read on one the forums here at Steve's Digicams that Canon has a new 7 ink printer in Europe, the i990. The writer was unsure if it will be released in the US. I suspect, though, that it will at some point in the future.
garylykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:28 PM   #9

Default New Printer?

Another printer to consider is the new Epson r800, due to be officially released tomorrow, Monday, Feb 22 (according to an Epson rep I spoke to at CompUSA). It is the new brother to the Epson r300. It uses a pigment based ink like the Epson 2200 and there is a very good review at the website www.photo-i.co.uk. It only prints up to a 8x10 photo. Also, I read on one the forums here at Steve's Digicams that Canon has a new 7 ink printer in Europe, the i990. The writer was unsure if it will be released in the US. I suspect, though, that it will at some point in the future.
garylykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:19 PM   #10

Default New printer?

Take a look at the Epson R300 for $179.. The only difference with the R800 is it lacks a lcd screen to view the pics. If you have a pc you really do not need the screen. It has an inboard card reader that works really well. All the pics that I have downloaded and scanned have fantastic resolution and gradation. Read the review from Steve on this model also. Good luck.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote