Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:30 PM   #1

Default Printing Panos on the i960?

Hey guys...I just had a question for others who are using the Canon i960 and have tried panorama printing.

I picked up a pack of the Epson 8.3x23.4 panorama paper to fiddle with and see how well it worked. It is a really, really, really thin paper...do you guys have a favorite that you have tried?

See, I got a really awesome panorama of downtown Portland where I live and have tried about 5 times to print it out, but every single time it stops after 11 inches. I have specified a custom paper size and apply that every time I try and print. I'm using Photoshop CS on a Mac and will have my PC w/ PS CS back going shortly (SATA raid array crapped out, getting data recovered).

No matter PC or Mac, what programs have you guys used, and in them, what settings? Also, is it possible to trick the driver so it will do it borderless as well?

Thanks in advance, happy printing. i960 owns.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:13 AM   #2
Administrator

You'll find all sorts of paper at:

http://www.redriverpaper.com

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:25 PM   #3

Steve knows a lot more about the printer than I do, but I donít think it will print panoramas. I know the Canon wide format printers will print only 24 inches.

With my S9000 I can trick it into printing panoramas on photo paper by using Win98 and printing a banner on photo paper. Canon closed the loophole with later printers because they donít make Canon panorama paper and donít want you switching paper. You could try the banner mode and see if it will let you select photo paper. It only works with the Win98 driver on the S9000 so I have to dual boot to print panoramas. The XP driver wonít let you select photo paper in banner mode. Several people called Canon to ask if they would fix it in their next firmware or driver update and Canon replied that the Win98 capability was a glitch they had no intention of fixing.

Since Canon doesnít make panorama paper I can see why they donít want to put the capability on the printer. I switched almost exclusively to Red River paper because I wanted to use the same paper for everything and I used Red River roll paper for panoramas. Someone over on dpreview found a Canon honcho at a recent trade show and asked about panorama printing. He said that Canon printers will not have panorama capability unless they start producing panorama paper.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:31 PM   #4

In case any Canon Corporate types read this forum, could I suggest that crippling the Canon printer drivers to disallow panorama printing costs Canon $$$ when all the +'s and -'s are totaled.

In my situation, I read this forum, Steve's reviews and forum comments, and other sources as well (I research purchase decisions to death!) before deciding between the Epson R300 and the Canon i960. On balance the i960 had a slight advantage in my mind except for it's inability to print panoramas. I bought the R300 and I am not dissatisfied!

Further, the only color inkjets I have owned previously have been HP. Since I am happy with the Epson, I will likely stay with them when it's time to upgrade. Why wouldn't I?

Already I am thinking about a wider carriage printer, and I find the i9900 to be released in the US by Canon in May to be most appealing! However, itI won't consider buying one because - you guessed it - the Canon website clearly makes it clear that the i9900 (and the i990) will fail to print panoramas!

What will I do? I will buy Epson or wait for a newer wide-carriage Epson that appears equivalent to the i9900. Multiply my situation by tens of thousands more and you have to wonder why Canon stubbornly deprives themselves of oodles and googles of future ink cartridge sales!

Forget the paper, Canon! Sell the ink! Or, if you're pressed against the wall, change the cutter adjustment on your paper-making machine and sell some panoramic paper! How big a deal could changing the cutter setting and gearing up to sell the new paper be?

Just my 2 cents. Or is it $2 Million after you total up all the needlessly lost sales????
Uncle Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:38 PM   #5

Well, to update everything I figured it out on my PC. The Mac is still a mystery but they come out pretty damn well out of my XP machine.

I Bought the Epson 8.3x24 panorama paper and I've printed a half-dozen already and they come out great.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:57 PM   #6

24 inches seems to be their max. That is a panorama I guess with narrow format but not with wide format. There is a guy on another forum who is unhappy with the 44 inch limitation on his Epson 2200 and is considering a really pricey Epson so he can print some real panoramas.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote