Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:37 PM   #1

Default damage to glossy finish on canon 9100

I recently puchased the canon 9100 printer. The color and image quality are all that I was hoping for. However, when I'm printing glossy 4 x 6 using canon photo paper plus, I've noticed an irregular zone of damage to the glossy finish of the paper varying from 0.5-1cm from the leading edge of the print. My best guess is that the roller is either pressing too hard and crushing the paper there or slipping and causing many small scratches right there.
Has anyone had similar problems and found a fix for that?
davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:16 AM   #2
Administrator

I use an i9100 and have never seen that type of print damage and I have made a LOT of prints with it and the s9000 before it.

Suggest you swap it if new enough or send it in for warranty repair - it should not being doing that.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:37 PM   #3

thanks, I'll look into exchanging it as I've bought it in the past month.
davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 9:25 PM   #4

Steve,

What do you think about the upcoming i9900? From the specs, do you think it will be worth upping to from out i9100's? I do like to capability finally being added to the wide format for the direct printing. But I am disappointed that they did not switch to pigmented inks.

Damon
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5

davids,

I'm having the same problem on a Canon I960. A very faint horizontal abrasion at 5/8" from the leading edge. I'm using Canon Photo Paper Pro 4/6 (the sample pack that came with the printer. I've had the printer for 3 days. Let me know how you resolved your problem.

-majorcis
majorcis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:32 AM   #6

Just a follow-up to the above message.

I printed approx. 15 4x6 borderless prints with the Canon Photo Glossy "Plus" using the photo tray and no abrasions were visible. I will post my results when I test it again with more canon "PRO" paper. Canon technical support mentioned the photo tray as possibly defective. I have also printed 5x7 borderless with no problems.

-majorcis
majorcis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:48 AM   #7

To let you know Canon only recommend their own paper, and other papers can cause problems, I've just been offered my money back by Canon as the i9100 is not fit for purpose, I have been involved in an argument since last august 04 with the supplier 'called Disking International' who I would not recommend to anyone.

The fault is banding on prints ie, feint white bands and a thin black line on all prints Disking said that this was ok and the printer was fine!

Canon said that they could not get rid of it either and was inherant on the printer possable cause not using Canon paper, the fault was still visable on Canon paper andon their test card photo too.

I would like to thank and add that Canon's service manager and staff have been more than helpfull in resolving this problem since they discoverd how underhanded the seller mentioned above has been.

hope this helps

regards Doug
KEEGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:05 PM   #8

I have also had this issue and it does get better if you print out a plain paper copy in advance. This is quite frustrating since I have to do it every time. It only lasts for about 5 prints and then it goes bad again.

I have had Canon replace the printhead once to address the issue with the lines in the photo, but still have this issue.

The prints using 5*7 or larger do not exhibit this symptom of a "smudge" on one side of the print.

It is now way, way, way, out of warranty and I doubt Canon will do anything about it and the cost of "repair" would be as much as a new printer anyway.

Therefore, I am looking at a non-Canon printer. Not sure which yet, but it will not be Canon.

This printer is useless to me. Anyone want to buy it? Cheap!!!!

dkepplin is offline   Reply With Quote