Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 20, 2002, 4:00 PM   #1

Default Print Longevity Question

I have an Epson 1280 and use Epson ink. I have stockpiled Kodak Premium and Kodak Ultima paper in preparation for some heavy printing for display. However, I am getting concerned about print longevity.

Does anyone have any wisdom to share about this combination?

Thank you,
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:06 AM   #2

Robert,

I doubt that you will get a satisfactory answer on this. This is a typical thread from another forum.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=1634279
All I can say is that there does not appear to be any evidence that Kodak paper has any better or worse print longevity with Epson inks than other papers.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 7:37 AM   #3
NHL

Remember... this is digital (they last for ever). Just print out another exact copy when the color fade!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:12 PM   #4

A bit tricky if you are selling the prints.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 1:40 PM   #5
NHL

That's true... but isn't the pigment in the ink not the paper? or is it both...
Old Aug 21, 2002, 6:30 PM   #6

Thanks, Chris, I'll check the site.

Thanks, NHL: What you say is true, of course. I don't want to sell prints, but I do want to give them to friends and relatives, and I'd like them to last a long time for them, even after I'm gone. Of course, I'm 60, so that's not so hard (LOL).
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 8:11 PM   #7
NHL

BTW They do have those electronic frames that do not fade (and you can change the contents on the fly)... LOL !!!

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by NHL]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 2:50 AM   #8

Robert,

Like you, I am mainly concerned with prints that I am going to give to friends and relatives. Some are going to be stuck on refrigerators, some will be put in albums and a few may get framed. The general opinion seems to be that there isn't a significant fading problem with prints in albums or behind glass, but there is for prints exposed to the atmosphere and light on refrigerators.

I haven't had a problem with fading in the past, but the recent discussions on other forums have got me worried (I have a Canon S820) and I currently have prints stuck up in different conditions all over the house for fade testing. I expect this is true of many other amateur digital photographers. I am looking for some combination of paper/spray that will give 12 month life on a refrigerator - I reckon that within 12 months most photos on refrigerators have been replaced!

If I manage to produce any photos that I think people might want to keep long term, I am going to start giving family/friends copies of the images on CD together with the prints.

Another problem is how to display the large number of prints that I have produced and get people to look at them when they visit! Any ideas?

Chris
Old Aug 22, 2002, 5:14 AM   #9
NHL

One can always do a free-running slide show on a TV monitor, using an Iomega Fotoshow (Zip) or some DVD players (CD) for the visitors...

TV photoviewers?

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by NHL]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 6:52 AM   #10

My brother just bought an HP5550 and was told the the prints should last about 65 years. I don't know what he needed to do to get that retention or about 65 on refrig, but I hung one on the refrig about 2 yrs ago, no spay or frame. I have floresence lighting in kitchen. It's still there. It has faded, but still not bad. Those that I put up in a frame or photo album, do not appear to have deteriated. Some are 3 years old. These are all prints that I"ve printed. Most times for 4x6's though I burn them and have printed by local processor (these are mostly stored in the index boxes). They should hold up just as any photo.

As to viewing them when I burn them I make a VCD following the instructions to retain the jpg format (useing Nero 5.5.3). I've tried 3-4 different DVD's and was able to view the pictures on all. I've been told by another poster that in his experience this burning software will make VCD viewable on any DVD, others may as well. I don't know this for a fact, and have been told differently, but I've not found a DVD that they cannot be viewed on, and according to his post he hadn't either. This may be a feature of Nero only or others who are burning photo cd's may not be making a VCD & retaing jpg. However, because these retain jpg format, prints can also be made from the same VCD. I've gotten to where I hand these out a family functions, rather than making prints. I set up a TV to view and then a have several of these to give away. Even though they don't have a DVD they can have prints made.

One other post that I read hooked her camera to a TV via the VCR. She then put a blank tape in and viewed the shots on her camera while recording the image with the VCR. I assume that you control the display time by the view time while recording. Not as cheap as a cd. I've not tryed this yet, but intend to. Sometimes these family functions are taking place at someone's house and they don't have a DVD or computer, but usually a VCR or I have a small VCR/TV combo that I can take. Not useful for prints without going to special processor though.

I like the slide show idea, but have not found software that will retain jpg for prints. Is there one?
ar

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by A Ridge]
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote