Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:21 AM   #1

Default Using Clear Coat on Inkjet printed CDs?

Just read Steve's review on the Epson R300M, looks like a nice option for doing CD/DVD prints.

Steve did mention though that the printed CD is NOT friendly to getting wet (ink runs, even after being completely dry)...So I'm thinking perhaps put a layer of clearcoat on top to seal the ink?

I'm just wondering just how caustic the clearcoat would be to a CD/DVD though.

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Namuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:51 AM   #2

CDs that you can print on have a coat of paint. I would think that would protect the CD OK if you laid it completely flat on something so the spray couldnít migrate around to the recorded side. And just used a light coat.

I have used Wal-Mart clear spray paint for various inkjet waterproofing but donít have an inkjet that prints on CDs. I would certainly try it if I could print on them though. It doesnít take a thick coat to waterproof. Donít aim the can at the CD when you push the button but just sweep it across a few times from about 18 inches. You donít need to spray until you get a smooth coat. I like the Wal-Mart spray because it dries very quickly with a light coat. Other brands usually charge more for the clear but the Wal-Mart stuff is the same buck as all the colors.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote