Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:30 PM   #1

Default Cost effective printers

Hi folks,

I am looking for opinions on which printer in the long run is least expensive to operate.Which printer is least expensive
in the ink department.Also I want to balance the cost with quality.Even though I'm looking ahead on how much ink replacement will cost I still want very good quality pictures when I print.I plan on printing often.Are there any models that fit my needs?I have a budget of $400 if that helps.Thanks for any input.

Ernest
ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:24 AM   #2

I woluld rate the Canon i960 as a printer that would fit your budget. Cost should be less than $300. The printer has individual ink cartridges and will provide you with excellent pics. www.canonusa.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:57 AM   #3

If you already have a general purpose printer and intend keeping it hooked up and adding a photo printer than something like a Canon i960 is excellent. Canon printers are particularly frugal on ink and they are easily refillable. They are also incredibly fast for photos- 3 or 4 times as fast as a similar Epson.

If your budget is before tax you might consider a Canon i9100. Newegg has them for $432 delivered including shipping. It is wide format and will print 13 X 19 prints borderless. Big prints look great on the wall. Or you might wait a month or so for the new i9900 for about the same price.

If you just intend having one printer you won’t be happy with the speed, quality or cost of text from a photo printer. HP has some you can swap out tanks but the best solution IMO is a Canon i860, which does a good job on both text and photos with a big pigmented black tank for text: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...anon_i860.html
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:22 PM   #4

Another vote for Canon, using an i850 with ink from InkjetGoodies (very good!) works out at about $4 to refill a complete set of cartridges (4).

I use roughly 1 set every 4 weeks so cost is important, one set of original Canon cartridges here in the UK costs about $45, the same as it costs me to refill for a year!.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote