Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
sounds strange, the thing of dark black. Since the review i've read clearly states that it is really good in the shadows. Good separation and so on.

Perhaps you just prefer darker shadows or something? Just because it's more accurate of your monitor, doesn't mean that it's more "correct"
Comparing the i960, HP 7960 and the R800, black, specifically large spots of it and detailed shadows looks like a dark muddy brown only on the R800 prints I have. They were printed from PS CS using the Epson profiles and Prem Glossy in best photo mode. Solid black looked best on the HP, detailed shadows by far looked best on the i960.

Also, I took the picture, I know what it should look like. I'm using an LCD monitor so I am not using it to base the colors on. I'm not a newb!
ok ok . Not trying to be offensive here . But it seems strange to me since i have read that it is really good in darker areas. Strange strange.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 1:17 AM   #12

Quote:
You will see 100 Year Canon paper before you see a consumer pigment based printer.
Quote:
As that CNet Asia article said, notice how new Canon Photo Paper Pro has a watermark on the back and it never used to. Apparently it is a swellable/pourus hybrid media. It is hybrid so the prints are still dry when they come out and also somewhat water resistant and accepts the fast print speeds but also gives the benefits of swellable media, like HP and Kodak that offer 73-100 years out of a print. Photo Paper Pro is sold as 100 Year Paper in Japan.
I read the linked i990 review and saw no mention of new Photo Paper Pro with a watermark. Do you have any more information. I'm really curious about the expanded print longevity.
Nicho1as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 1:00 PM   #13

Sorry man, the article changed from when this thread was first posted. They mentioned the new paper in the "First Take" when it was originally posted but now they have the full review of the printer.

Just wait, you will see some big changes and cool new stuff from Canon very soon. The first will happen next month (April).
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Sorry man, the article changed from when this thread was first posted. They mentioned the new paper in the "First Take" when it was originally posted but now they have the full review of the printer.

Just wait, you will see some big changes and cool new stuff from Canon very soon. The first will happen next month (April).
What kind of big changes?
gate1975mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:40 PM   #15

Default changes

Quote:
Interesting.. as I too have been hearing of some "incredible" changes/developments/new products from Canon due soon. However, what they are seem to be kept under pretty tight wraps.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 12:52 AM   #16

If I were to speculate ....

Big red may not be so red, things are looking semi-glossy and archival prints should be for a century, not just 50 years.

Also bookmark usa.canon.com

Thats just speculation though. Pure speculation.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:49 PM   #17

The only thing Canon could come out with that would tempt me to upgrade my S9000 would be panorama paper. Their printers will not print wider than 24 inches because Canon doesnít make panorama paper and they donít want you to switch. There is a workaround on the S9000 that they closed with later models. It appears the i9900 isnít going to be able to print panoramas either unless they start producing panorama paper.

Canon was advertising some long archive times for their old Photo Paper Pro and they fade fairly quickly displayed in bright light. Not direct sunlight Ė just a well lit room. I think the Tooth Fairy has a higher probability of representing reality than 100 years on a dye based print on display.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:55 AM   #18

Here's the Japanese Canon current model lineup other than the i9900 and i990 which are already announced I see nothing of note since they usually market product at home first what's your April conjecture?

http://www.canon-sales.co.jp/bj/lineup/index.html

pdxbrian wrote:
Quote:
ltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:25 PM   #19

It's not new printers for April. Other stuff. You know of most the printers in the pipeline (i80, i9900, i990).

As far as the original Photo Paper Pro, there are definitely varied results there. Professional testing (Wilhelm Research) got 38 years out of it with light and gas fading but there are other accounts that show it fading within weeks and months. Personally, I've been using PPPro for many years and have not experienced the rapid fading. The prints I have are on a wall under glass and in acid-free album sleeves.

Now, if you go to Canon Japan's web site you will see (through a translator for most of us) they talk extensively about a new type of Photo Paper Pro. CNet Asia talked about this in the i990 preview about how its a swellable/porous hybrid media. It is the type that is watermarked with Canon in the back and it is sold in Japan as 100 years under glass/in album against gas and light fading and 25 years uncovered against gas and light fading. It has not been tested independantly but from what I've heard from the Japanese, it has solved some of the problems you guys speak of.

Stuff like this coming to the US along with other changes are what I am speaking of, not necessarily new printers.

Just be patient It's worth the wait.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
Canon was advertising some long archive times for their old Photo Paper Pro and they fade fairly quickly displayed in bright light. Not direct sunlight Ė just a well lit room. I think the Tooth Fairy has a higher probability of representing reality than 100 years on a dye based print on display.
HPs are independently rated at 73 years light and gas fading and the Kodak paper at 100 years. I have not heard any instances of either of these papers fading so quickly and they are both for dye based inks...