Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 29, 2004, 7:49 AM   #1

Default Canon i990!!!

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardwar...18160p,00.htm?

I wonder when this is coming out?
gate1975mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2004, 7:55 AM   #2

Probably not too far off since the i9900 (the replacement for the wide carriage i9100) is being released in the US in late spring or early summer. It sounds like they are going to be identical except for the carriage width.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:33 AM   #3

it sells here in sweden now, the epson R800 do too.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 9:31 PM   #4

Default Re: Canon i990!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate1975mlm
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardware/printers/0,39001753,39018160p,00.htm?

I wonder when this is coming out?
You will see it in the Fall. Big changes are coming at Canon in the next few months...
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:40 AM   #5

does it use pigmented ink or dye-based ink? to me, thats the only drawback of canon printers.
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:26 AM   #6

It is dye-based ink. Canon is using the BCI-6 ink series that is currently used in the i960 and i9100. The i990 is adding a true red ink color (BCI-6R) while the i9900 is adding the red and also green (BCI-6G).
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokou1204
does it use pigmented ink or dye-based ink? to me, thats the only drawback of canon printers.
At this point, from what I know Canon's roadmaps only include dye based printers. You will see 100 Year Canon paper before you see a consumer pigment based printer. The R800 is a perfect example. Yes, the prints last 50-75 years on glossy paper, but print the exact same picture on an i960 w/Photo Paper Pro and you will be stunned by how much wider of a color gamut the i960 has. The R800 on glossy paper has a very, very difficult time producing a good, dark black, which is especially noticable when you compare a picture with shadows on the R800 and i960. I will make some scans of my testing and upload the pictures in a bit.

As that CNet Asia article said, notice how new Canon Photo Paper Pro has a watermark on the back and it never used to. Apparently it is a swellable/pourus hybrid media. It is hybrid so the prints are still dry when they come out and also somewhat water resistant and accepts the fast print speeds but also gives the benefits of swellable media, like HP and Kodak that offer 73-100 years out of a print. Photo Paper Pro is sold as 100 Year Paper in Japan.

Again, you will see big, big changes from Canon this year. It is rather exciting, really.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:49 PM   #8

sounds strange, the thing of dark black. Since the review i've read clearly states that it is really good in the shadows. Good separation and so on.

Perhaps you just prefer darker shadows or something? Just because it's more accurate of your monitor, doesn't mean that it's more "correct"
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:23 PM   #9

EDIT
see below
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
sounds strange, the thing of dark black. Since the review i've read clearly states that it is really good in the shadows. Good separation and so on.

Perhaps you just prefer darker shadows or something? Just because it's more accurate of your monitor, doesn't mean that it's more "correct"
Comparing the i960, HP 7960 and the R800, black, specifically large spots of it and detailed shadows looks like a dark muddy brown only on the R800 prints I have. They were printed from PS CS using the Epson profiles and Prem Glossy in best photo mode. Solid black looked best on the HP, detailed shadows by far looked best on the i960.

Also, I took the picture, I know what it should look like. I'm using an LCD monitor so I am not using it to base the colors on. I'm not a newb!