Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 2, 2004, 3:20 PM   #1

Default Are The HP printers more durable??

Hello all,

I am just curious here. I am looking into getting an inkjet to compliment the Dye sub I am going to get. I am getting a Canon CP200.

I am looking at the HP printers for one reason; the print head is installed on the cartridge. I think this makes the cartridges more expensive but also make the printer more resistant to clogs, in that if you have a clog that you can't clear, you just replace the cartridge. Where as if you have a bad clog with a Canon or an Epson printer that you can't clear, you have to replace the Print head.

Is this solid reasoning? I have seen persons talk about clogs on Canon and Epson printers here but not of HP clogs.

Let me know your opinion and if what I say makes sense and should be a reason for me to go HP instead of Canon or Epson, especially where I live as it would be difficult to repair or replace anything too often.

D
dudlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 3:48 PM   #2

Iíve had two HP general purpose printers and they donít clog. Even if you go away for a couple of months they still print fine. That the heads are in the cartridge lets them dock the heads against a pad moist with ink. It drips a little ink over time but nowhere near the ink is wasted as running through cleaning cycles.

Iíve had my current 930 for five years and had a 722 for a few years before that. The only reason I replaced the 722 was that they were giving the 930 away free with a $50 E-Stamps purchase Ė and you got $50 worth of stamps. Neither has ever clogged.

With Canon you can pull them and soak the heads in ammonia for a while. A last resort is to buy a new printhead. Epson heads are welded in. If you canít get them unclogged it is usually cheaper to just replace the printer than take it in for service.

I have a Canon photo printer and it clogs occasionally. I havenít had to pull the heads yet but had to on my older Canon. You do have to run cleaning cycles.

HP screws you with their cheaper printers Ė at least the last time I looked. The black tank is only filled with 25ml of ink even though it will hold 42ml. New tanks hold only 25ml and cost the same as the tanks with 42ml for the more expensive printers. The trick is to learn to refill them. The 25ml tanks hold the full 42ml of ink. If you get good pigmented ink it works fine. I get my pigmented black from www.inksupply.com I like the instructions with the set screw from www.oddparts.com Iíve gone through several pints of pigmented black for the two printers for a savings of megabucks. A black cartridge will take about 8 refills and it is so convenient it is easier than stocking cartridges.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:14 PM   #3

Default depends

It depends on how much printing and how often you do it. I tend to print at least something every other day. I have had the Canon S600 and now the i850, never had clogs over the years. No issues at all regarding clogging or printhead replacement.

Now, if you plan on not printing a lot or go on vacation for 3 months out of the year - well then *maybe* an HP might make sense.

But hell, if you are not printing a fair amount why bother with the joys of a nice printer? Maybe just pick up a Lexmark.. :shock:
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 2:52 PM   #4

We use an old HP-1120c for the daily paperwork, and some proofing. It has been banging out reams of paper for years, we got it when it first came on the market I think in 1999 or so.

No problems with the printer. Have had a couple of bad ink carts though that promptly leaked everywhere.

In the hp black cart they use pigment ink so documents are very stable. The color dye inks are not.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:17 PM   #5

One issue I've found with my HP printer is, because of the printhead on cartridge thing, it tends to be more expensive to buy. Granted it's a bigger tank of ink than comparable Canon or Epson, but shelling out so much money in 1 shot is a little off putting.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx
One issue I've found with my HP printer is, because of the printhead on cartridge thing, it tends to be more expensive to buy. Granted it's a bigger tank of ink than comparable Canon or Epson, but shelling out so much money in 1 shot is a little off putting.
But the HP black cartridges are soooo easy to refill and good pigmented ink is available. If I am going to print a large manual two sided I always top off the tank so it doesnít run out halfway through the second side. It is less than 5 minutes from pulling it from my printer to printing with a full cartridge. I would probably end up just running out halfway through the second side if I were buying HP cartridges, and that is a mess to recover from if you have ever done it.

Color is a little dicier. There was a learning curve with the color because the online instructions werenít very good. Someone on another board finally told me how to do it. I usually print only black on the HP anymore and use the Canon photo printer for color. The Canon cartridges are fairly easy to refill.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote