Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:56 PM   #1

Default HP 7960 vs Epson R300 I am concerned - Bought the i960 now

I just bought this HP 7960 and I have noticed some "lines" when printing in normal.

I compared it in the store to the R300 but went with the HP because I heard that there is a real problem with the print cartridges clogging on the R300. The sales person also said that the difference is (not sure I will use the right terms here) The R300 print heads are perminately attached to the R300 where as the Print heads are attached to the cartridge on the HP models. I am wondering if I made this into to big of a deal because of the 7960 not being that much different at all than the hp2110 that I currently have.

We also choose the HP over epson and hp 7660 because it had "8 color" printing. I am really concerned now that it isnt giving me that much of a difference than my old printer and the streaking in low quality printing.

I guess I should add - that I use this for printing out tranfers for tshirts or making notepads. The quality for photos was not really a factor at all - although we did research that also.

Should I return this for the R300?? I really want something that will print vibrant bold crisp colors...We really had a hard time choosing between the two printers and now I am second guessing my choice.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I would rather save myself the extra $120 and go with the R300 if it is really better.

Thank you very much in advance

signed - In Over My Head ops:
MsJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

Default hmm

Sounds like you were drawn away by a store rep that didn't have the whole story.

Sure, Epson has a built in printhead (so do Canons) but as long as you don't plan on not printing with the thing over a period of a few months, you'll be fine.

The Epson will also be quite a bit less to operate as well, as it has individual ink tanks.

The lines that you are experiencing on the HP are due to it's "star wheels", a known issue with the current photosmart line.

I would say you take another good look at the R300 (as well as the Canon i960 - but I do not wish to muddy the waters too much)
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:19 PM   #3

I am packaging this thing up to take it back. I will write another review when I get a chance to play with the R300 - I plan to use it frequently so the clogging shouldnt be an issue. I cant deal with the lines across my images.

Be Back with updates
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:13 AM   #4

Ok so I took back the 7960 and I didnt come home with the r300 as planned. See when I was in the store the guy took a camera and hooked it up to the i960 and the R300 the prints were much better on the i960. I had also read such great review about it on this board.

Now my only issue: I want to use this for graphics just as much as photos. So I get it home - the photos print out beautiful. Text prints out great. The graphics well...when I print out something with a large black area it has a blue-ish tint to it. I called cannon and they said that it is because this printer is primarily made for printing phots. I asked if there was anyway to manually adjust the black inks and make it come out right. We went through i960 properties and adjusted it. It still had that blue tint. After being on the phone with him for an hour 1/2 he said there was nothing he could do to fix the blue tint if I wanted to get a true black than I should print on photo paper. Well when just printing for everyday use or "home" desktop publishing this is not really a good resonable response. btw..incase your interested - he also said something about the inks being alcohol based (kinda off topic but thought you might like to know) He also said that in order for the i960 to get the color black it isnt just straight black ink. It is mixing the inks to get the black on the printout which may be part of my problem but that was the way the canons were made.

So I was wondering maybe if it was just me. I put a printout of a rottweiler from my hp 2110 next to the print out of the i960 I asked my son which one looked more realistic. He said the doggie on the left (hp 2110) because the other one looked blue and dogs arent blue. So I knew it wasnt just me.

I dont want to return it because it is obviously sharper and the color is better than the r300 on the instore printout.

I just bought off ebay a "ColorVision Pantone Monitor Spyder w/ PhotoCal " To see if that will resolve my problem when not printing photos.

Any suggestions for making this printer work for everyday use also? Do you think the spyder will work?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:41 PM   #5

Default HP 7960 vx R300

MSJoker,

Take it back and swap it for the R300. You will not be sorry. It is the best of the group.

harr840
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:54 PM   #6

Default HP 7960 vx R300

MSJoker,

Take it back and swap it for the R300. You will not be sorry. It is the best of the group.

harr840
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:55 PM   #7

Default HP 7960 vx R300

MSJoker,

harr840
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:02 AM   #8

Default doesnt sound right

The i960 uses a photo black, which will give you true blacks (not composite black). So the blue tint you are getting is very odd.

What type of paper are you printing on, exactly?
Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:17 AM   #9

For everyday use to print graphics I use bright white printing paper. The tech at canon told me to use the setting - plain paper.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:29 PM   #10

Default Paper

I have printed on the i960 with plain paper. No issues that I can see with large black areas. They look black.

Perhaps try some of Canon's HR-101 High Resolution paper. It has a bit of a coating on it, but is sorta like a glorified bright white. You can get a 100 sheet pack for under $10.00. The HR paper gives superb photo/graphic/text output without having to jump to glossy, while not being standard plain paper stock.