Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 7, 2004, 3:19 PM   #1

Default Three in one printer scanner and copier

I need to buy a new scanner as it does not work any more. In addition my printer a Lexmark Z42 is past its best. We have now just got a Konica Z500 digital camera and the Lexmark is not up to the photos.
Photos will be holiday snaps, birthdays etc not really serious photography.
I would like if possible to buy a three in one printer. Is there one which will cope well with photos at a reasonable price? Do any of them do borderless printing or print straight from the memory without use of the computer?
Any advice would be valued.
Bertie
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:44 PM   #2

Default Re: Three in one printer scanner and copier

Check out the Canon MP370. It has a card reader, is quite fast from what I've seen and produces some really nice looking 4x6, 5x7 and 8.5x11 borderless photos.

It is also a really sexy piano black and brushed aluminum look. I dig it!
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:42 AM   #3

I don't know squat about the machine to which pdxbrian is rerring. Consequently, I would accept the advice as valid. On the other hand, I have a natural abhorrence of one box does it all machines. For a small, home office one box that copies, prints, scans and faxes may be a perfect solution. But most larger offices have separate machines for each function. As a hobbyist, I prefer a separate scanner and printer, which also provide the copy function, and the fax function is provided by the PC and its modem.

Slim
Who uses different raquets for lawn tennis and table tennis (a totally invalid analogy, of course :P )
CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:23 PM   #4

Default All in One

Cowboy Slim,

I have owned the Lexmark X75 all in one and was very satisfied. Recently, I purchased the Epson CX5400. It has a super 2400x1200 dpi scanner and prints text out great. I do not use it to print out pics as I have an Epson R300 for pics. I did try to print a pic on the 5400; it is very grainy and color was off. It is a good printer for scanning and text printing, but buy a seperate pic printer.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 1:00 PM   #5

Canon has recently released a new multipass MP390. This is the perfect printer for you. It's made to print photos, and at the same time can fax, copy, and scan. It's also priced at $299. There's only one drawback I see though. The ink tanks are small, so you might run out of ink pretty quickly. The ink tanks are around $15-$20 though, and so it's not too expensive.
Tekb0y1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:06 PM   #6

If you get something like the MP390 just keep the Lexmark for normal text if it does that OK.

I would have the Lexmark as the default printer. It is easy to select another printer when you print. I have a Canon photo printer and HP general purpose printer and they work fine together.

Another option is to learn to refill the Canon cartridges. It is fairly easy and works fine if you use quality ink specifically for the printer and not a universal refill kit.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 1:09 AM   #7

have a look at the epson rx500...i got it recently and have been happy with it....has a built in CF MS SD xD and SM reader built in...pics come out quite nice. it will do borderless prints too . havent printed a lot of pics as i use a dye sub for that, but the pics i did print, came out nice.....it also includes a built in transperency unit and film holder for scanning 35mm film or slides...
dal81 is offline   Reply With Quote