Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:22 PM   #1

Default Canon i9100 vs Epson 1280

Hello. I am thinking about getting a new printer, and I think I am deciding between the two of this printers (Canon i9100 vs Epson 1280). The reason I picked these two is because they print up to 13"x 19". Secondly, because they are both under $500.

I guess what I am asking is, which is a better printer. First thing I am looking for is quality. Second would be cost of ink replacement and how often do they need replaced and lastly, of paper choices. (Like if they can use other papers then their own.) I am a graphic design student and I print out photos and illustrations and things of that nature.

Thanks for all your help. And if you have any other printer suggestions that would be appricated as well.

Tait
Taitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:50 PM   #2

Hrm.. since no one respond.. any thoughts at all about either printer? I dont mean to be a pest.. Im just really needed a new printer for my classes.. and I guess I just wanna get the best bang for my buck..

Thanks again
Tait
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:59 PM   #3

If the 1280 is like other Epsons, you always have the printhead clogging problem to deal with unless you use the printer frequently. My understanding from reading other posts is that both printers make fine prints.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 8:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taitum
Hrm.. since no one respond.. any thoughts at all about either printer? I dont mean to be a pest.. Im just really needed a new printer for my classes.. and I guess I just wanna get the best bang for my buck..

Thanks again
Tait
1) Posting this in the wide format injet forum might get some more responses.

2) The Epson is 3 year old tech. The Canon is 1 year old. That is a big difference. For this comparison the Canon wins on about every level. (check out Steves printer reviews the 1280 is a slightly increased resolution version of the 1270).

3) Canon will be cheaper to operate, produce better looking prints, and does it's job faster.

4) The only possible area that Epson has an advantage is print life. But now Kodak is claiming that if you use their paper the prints will last 100+ years from all the printers.

If you want to compare the Epson 2200 or 4000 to the Canon 9100, 9900 you will have more of an even playing field.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:29 PM   #5

Thank you so much for that information!!
I totally missed that forum.. I will give it a look asap!

Again thank you.

Tait
Old Mar 17, 2004, 1:08 PM   #6

I'd definitely go with the i9100. The Epson 2200 would be more even with it. The i9100 gives you faster print outs, is cheaper to operate, and in my opinion better looking pictures.
Tekb0y1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 4:02 PM   #7

Default Canon vs. epson

I have an S900 that I got about 18 months ago to replace an Epson 780 stylus photo printer. This is my first Canon and the stylus was my third (and last) Epson.

The s900 is so superior in print speed to Epson and I have never had the head clogging problems like I had on Epsons. For photo printers that don't get use daily, this is a serious problems on Epsons. And they have to go back to the factory for a print head replacement. Print quality is excellent. I routinely have people refuse to believe 8x10s on the Canon Photo Paper Pro came off an inkjet printer they are so convincing. The only issue I have is the gamut on dark areas. The Canon seems to have trouble printing good detail in really dark areas and I think the Epson is superior with the "light black" ink tank.

I have left my s900 unused for over a month and NEVER have the clogging problems as on Epsons. Even after a just week of sitting my old Epson would clog.

I would recommend the Canon over the Epsons. Print logevity is probably better on the Epson with pigement inks and there seems to be more "pro" media for the Epson. For day in and day out use the Canon is better IMHO.

BTW, I am going to buy the new i9900 as soon as it hits stores.
kevin_talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:37 AM   #8

Oh Kevin, please let us know how the i9900 does for you when you get it, after more research I put off buying the large format printer until the begining of next semester. One, because the i9100 would prolly drop in price (if I get this one), and 2) I wanted to see how the i9900 stacked against the i9100 (or I get this one).

Thanks again.
Tait
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:03 PM   #9

Don't know if you have noticed but here in the US the 9100 has dropped by $100 list (now $399). Some stores have picked it up (Fry's) others have not.

It will make an interesting decision if like the others they offer refurbished units at a big discount... Is the 9900 $200 or even $300 better than the 9100???
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taitum
Oh Kevin, please let us know how the i9900 does for you when you get it, after more research I put off buying the large format printer until the begining of next semester. One, because the i9100 would prolly drop in price (if I get this one), and 2) I wanted to see how the i9900 stacked against the i9100 (or I get this one).
Tait
I will be sure to post my impressions when I get the new printer.

I came so close to buying an s9000 direct from canon a few months ago. They had a blow out on their company website when the i9100 came out. I think they s9000 was being blown out at $200 (less than half price). I thought about it for a day and they were gone. So keep a sharp eye on the canonusa.com store to see if they do the same on the i9100 when the i9900 hits the street.

-- Kevin
kevin_talbot is offline   Reply With Quote