Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 13, 2004, 7:40 PM   #1

Default In need of an inkjet for business

I am looking for an affordable printer that produces fade resistant prints, good black and white, excellent color.

I know there may have been discussions about this before, but none seems conclusive. I ahve also read about the new Kodak paper that is to work in any inkjet printer and give good results in terms of fade resistance.

Does it mainly have to do with the paper? or does the ink have alot to do with it?

Thanks alot

D
dudlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:14 PM   #2

in my opinion, fade resistance is 40% ink and 60% paper.

I think ink has more to do with the range of colors (color gamut) you get in your photo. some 3rd party companies like lyson makes ink thats more archival than OEM (at least so they say) and has a wider/different color gamut to suit the needs of the consumer.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the new kodak colorlast ultima paper. but you MUST let it dry for approx. 48 hours or the ink will smudge, stick, smear, transfer, etc.

for printers, Im fond of the canon i960.
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 3:00 PM   #3

Thanks Alot gokou1204,

The reason I ask is that I have started a small business where I work and I am being asked for 8x10s but the only printer I have that will allow me to do 'fade resistant' prints right now is the Canon CP200. The other printer I have is an old HP, the Hp 845c, which is ok, but I believe I can get better. Hence the search for a new inkjet.

I am trying not to get the Epson R800 (too pricey), and the Canons dont seem as fade resistant as the Epson, and the availability of the inks here is very sparse. The most popular printers here in SVG are HP and Lexmark, so these are the inks available a bit more readily. This leaves me with the HP 7000 series which seems to be a mixed bag. The prints seem to be good, but there is this dredded star wheel issue, and the inks are quite expensive. Also the HP premium photo paer which helps in the Fade resistance is also pricey. I am in quite a bind here aint I.

So This is what i am dealing with right now.

I hope to be able to afford a good inkjet which offers good fade resistance soon. I guess I could go with the HP 7760 or 7660 and use the HP paper for fade resistance. I cannot allow 48hrs to dry for the Kodak paper. There is too much dust in my environment!!

D
dudlew is offline   Reply With Quote