Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:48 PM   #1

Default canon 9900, 9100 or 960

I can not decide on which printer would best suite my needs? I am printing photo greeting cards approximately 100 at a time. I was told that a Canon would produce the best quality for the most economical operating cost. I need to print photos and wording combinations.
I have not really considered other brands... Is it worth spending double for the 9900 or 9100? Is there another brand that has better results? Any suggestions?
S521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:17 PM   #2

If you're just printing greeting cards, the wide format of the i9900 or i9100 may be overkill unless you are designing them to be printed 4 per page of 11x17 paper. If that is the case, I would wait for the i9900. As much as I love my i9100, the i9900 is incorporating two new inks into the printhead for a total of 8; a true red and a true green. The new colors would help reduce the amount of magenta and cyans being used because they will not have to be blended near as much to get the same color reproduction. I just have not told the wife that I am planning on upgrading to the i9900; she's already threatening divorce if I buy the Canon Digital Rebel or Nikon D70 before next January. As she said, if I do buy the camera; take a picture so she'll know who she's talking to.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:05 PM   #3

And just to keep you a little more confused Canon has announced the i990 a standard size version of the 9900 printer. I guess the extra colors are supposed to give better oranges so for Thanksgiving and Halloween you will be set.

The thing is all of the current printers are better than most of the photo cards you can pick up in a card store already. I have an i860 and it's output is better than any commercial card I have seen recently. You may want to put it into the evaluation since that big black tank on it can really save you money on the non picture elements. Check out Steve's review on it. Most people reviewing it (including myself) say that the i860 is as good as the previous generation 6 color printers.

I originally bought the 860 with the plan of upgrading to a 960 but the quality is not enough to make it worth it. The 9900 is looking very tempting though (or the 9100 if it gets discounted soon).

My only complaint about Canon (I've had 4 Canon printers) is why won't they release the CD printing versions of the printers here in the US. I'm probably going to buy an Epson R200 just for that feature.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:27 AM   #4

The only thing different between the i990 and the i9900 besides the carriage width is that the i990 uses 7 inks; it only includes the red, not the green. Also, from what I can tell, the i990 is not available in the US as of yet.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:59 PM   #5

Default more choices

If the printer is going to be primarily used for greeting cards... Lots of photos vs text? Then I would say i960.

If it is almost half and half, maybe the i860, as it can do fantastic photos as well as high speed text.

I would agree that the wide carriage versions might be a bit overkill.

As for why Canon does not release the CD print options in the US - I have been "told" that it is because they are concerned about issues within the US regarding copyright laws and infringement. They seemed to be worried about something backlashing on them. Despite Epson taking plunge.

I to wish they would release these options in the US.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:58 PM   #6

The Canon i860 has a pigmented black tank and your black text will be better. Photo quality is very good although a dedicated photo printer would do better. But you might find that for greeting cards you will get all of the quality you need from the i860 and better black text.

Might be nice to have just one printer, rather than one for photos and one for text. I have both, but it isn't ideal for desk space.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 1:04 PM   #7

A also agree that the i9900 might be too big for you. If you're even going to consider the i9100 or i9900, go for the i9900. It'll give you better picture quality at faster speeds, and be the same price as the i9100 is right now. The i960 is great though, and gives you almost the same picture quality. I'd go with the i960, or even the i860 if you're planning to print with a lot of text too.
Tekb0y1 is offline   Reply With Quote