Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Canon i560 replacement

I hate to start another 'which one' thread, but after 8 or so years of owning a i560, actually 3 or 4 over that period (not at once, I need to replace this with something newer.

After spending a couple of days researching these LED printers (Brother specifically) vs 'Laser', Epson vs Canon, Thermo vs Piezo, I decided to stay with Canon and dye based ink.

Specifically I'm looking for:

Printer only, used, around 5 or so years old,
NO multifunction machine,
Tanks that don't need the chip replaced, just reset, that will still show ink level in the software,
Four colors (BK, Mg, Cy, Yl), separate ink tanks,
Easily refillable with bulk ink,
User replaceable print head,
Fully Linux compatible.

95% of my printing is web based, documents (.doc & .pdf) & graphics. Maybe 5% photos. Half is very short term (weeks or months). I average 5k sheets a year. I do have a mono Laser/copier/color scanner that is rarely used.

Suggestions for the series and/or specific models and/or the carts/tanks they use.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:40 AM   #2

Over 180 views and no one has any input??

Might as well close this forum since no one seems to have anything to say.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:00 AM   #3
Administrator

A used printer?

Bad idea, as rubber rollers will harden and not pick up paper well, nozzles will clog, etc.

As for Linux compatibility, I prefer to stick with HP models,as HP is very supportive of Linux printing needs via the HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) project. See this page for more info:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Personally, I'm currently using an HP Officejet 8610 All-In-One. I got mine for about $99 on sale a while back, and unlike most printers that come with "starter cartridges', the included ink lasts for hundreds of pages (I've got around 700 on mine so far, and have not yet bought any extra ink for it, although the cyan cartridge is now running low so I'll need to buy ink soon).

More about it here:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/printe...in-one-printer

But, that model has recently been replaced by the newer 8710 model, and it appears to be selling for around $149 right now at vendors like amazon.com. Here's a listing for one:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-OfficeJet-W.../dp/B01CJNMRG0

That printer (like the 8610 model that I have) has a lower cost per page compared to most inkjet models (HP claims that the cost per page runs about 50% lower than color laser printers, meaning a lot lower cost compared to most other inkjets).

I suspect you'll need to stick with genuine HP replacement cartridges. But, again, that series of HP printer has a lower cost per page compared to most other models.

A warning --- they're *big* printers. So,make sure you have sufficient space for one. But, they are "built like a tank', unlike cheaper, low end consumer models.

Wireless also works great with my 8610. I use Linux on my desktop and laptops, and got wireless printing to it working without difficulty. Also, thanks to the HPLIP GUI that you can download from the software repositories published by most Linux distros, I can easily do things like check ink levels, align heads, change settings, etc.

You can also go to the printer via a web browser to access that kind of thing (as that series of printers has a web server built into the printer firmware).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:21 AM   #4

Input noted.

1. Nozzles are usually easy to clean. I have done it for years. if not, printheads are easily replaceable (at least canons are or were).
2. I have had that same 560 model for 10 years (three over the period, two were used) and the only problems were refilling (like anyone else that uses bulk ink). The total page count I would bet was 100k (yes, 100,000)!
3. I already have a Laser printer-copier-scanner that I only occasional use.
4. I don't like multifunction machines due to compromises, mostly in size making them even harder to service if it wasn't already hard enough. There is also the issue of reliability which is NOT improving no doubt due to the continuous cost cutting. I have had at least two refill supplies tell me to stay away from MF machines (at least inkjet).
5. I have no use or need for wireless. If it was to be used as a network printer, it would be a wired connection. The vast majority of printer (and other devices) problems are due to using a 'wireless' connection.
6. The newer models use harder to reset carts, I have NO intention of paying retail to Canon or anyone else for ink (or toner) in a reusable housing.

Your point about Linux is worthwhile since Canon sucks (in plain English) when it comes time for Linux support. They actually list Linux as an O/S, but none that I saw had any support. Brother is also favorable supported in Linux.

Last edited by videobruce; Jun 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:26 AM   #5

BTW, I was considering a Brother color 'LED' (not Laser) printer, but ruled it out due to the much reported poorer print quality and the number of negative reviews.
Their MF version had even worse reviews which kinda surprised me since the base of the machine would be the same as the printer (both use the same toner carts and fusers).
Lastly, size was another factor as you stated and this was a LED machine, not Laser.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:49 AM   #6

Is this for home use or for a professional office where equipment and supplies are inventoried for tax purposes?

I have a four year old Brother full color lazer here (almost never print color) that has been rock solid. It runs 5k+ sheets yearly without issue. I do not refill here instead use a service that refills at about a one third cost savings.

I have an old Kodak ink jet for photos that will be replaced with a dye sublimation machine at some point.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Home, personal use.
I wound up settling on a iP4300 which is in the 2nd generation iP series (1st was using BCI3-6 carts, 2nd uses CLI8-PGI5 pretty much the same ink). The iP4500 whch came out a year later uses a different print head (around 1k more nozzles) at almost 2x the cost ($88 vs $48).

Impossible to tell what is what with Canons stupid, non-sensible numbering scheme. Higher numbers don't always means newer models. Meaning, shopping for used ones are more difficult if you are looking at date and/or carts they use.

According to my ink source InkJetCarts in NJ:
http://www.inkjetcarts.us/about_us/

Canon cartridges in chronological order:

BCI3 / BCI6 (disco'ed)
CLI8 / PGI5 (disco'ed)
CLI221 / PGI220 (disco'ed)
CLI225 / CLI226
CLI270 / PGI 271
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Administrator

Good luck with it (Canon IP4300).

I bought a Canon Pixma IP4000 a while back. Here's a post about it:

[Recovered Thread: 56839]

I ended up using commercial printer drivers (turboprint) under Linux, since I could not find drivers from Canon at the time.

But, it failed after about 5 months of light use, and i decided to throw it in the trash instead of getting it fixed, even though it was still under warranty. IOW I disliked it so much for various reasons, I did not want to continue using one, even if Canon would have fixed or replaced it under warranty.

I've only used HP printers since then (as I was using before that Canon model).

As mentioned in my earlier posts, my current printer is an HP OfficeJet Pro 8610, and it's been absolutely reliable, with great linux support. When I bought mine it was on sale for only $99.95 at vendors like Staples (where I got mine), with Amazon selling it for the same sale price delivered, too. It's gone up now that it's been replaced with the newer HP Officejet Pro 8710 (which I suspect will make a great printer, too).

This Officejet Pro 8610 printer also has a duty cycle rating of up to 30,000 pages per month.

Click on the specifications tab from this page and you'll see that:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/printe...in-one-printer

IOW, it's "built like a tank", and has been absolutely reliable.

Now, some of the cheaper HP models targeting consumers are junk. HP offers some really bad printers, as well as some really good printers. So, make sure to do your "homework" before buying one.

Some also have very high ink costs. But, if you're a good shopper and look at some of the "Pro" models with a very high monthly duty cycle rating, you can find a nice printer that is going to be reliable, has a very low cost per page, as well as having great Linux support.

Again, good luck with the Canon IP4300. Hopefully, it will hold up a lot better than the IP4000 model that I made the mistake of purchasing some years back
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:55 PM   #9

Good luck OP but my experiences are the same as JimC's. I have not had good experiences with Cannon printers.

Bad reviews can be found for everything if we look hard enough. Kodak printers had some horrible reviews but my experience with them has been great. If you like Cannon then best of luck with your new machine.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
Good luck OP but my experiences are the same as JimC's. I have not had good experiences with Cannon printers.

Bad reviews can be found for everything if we look hard enough. Kodak printers had some horrible reviews but my experience with them has been great. If you like Cannon then best of luck with your new machine.
Agreed.

I'll note that I have had great success with Canon printers over the years. Heck, my cheap MX360 AIO is still going strong after years of service. I don't print as much with it anymore as my Dell B&W Laser gets used the most, but the MX360 is still used for scanning, color prints, etc.

I also love my PIXMA Pro-1, although it doesn't get used much ether. I don't make larger prints very much anymore, and the ink tanks are super expensive.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote