Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:08 AM   #1
AMG

Default what about profiles

I am in the process of choosing a digital camera and an inkjet photo printer.. The canon s410 elph has a printer button, where you print directly from the camera with a touch of a button. So 2 questions now.

1. Will I get accurate color. Obviously I can't specify a profle, so I am worried about the results with this method of printing where I bypass photoshop and all the printer's properties

2. Will it print with the best photo choice. Because I am bypassing the printers properties, I am wondering if the printer will print at the faster setting which I thnk is the default when going through the printer's driver.

Thanks in advance. read below for more

The new 410 elph has a function that I love, now only can you print with the touch of a button, but when you specify a 4x6 for example, you can reposition the rectangle anywhere in the lcd, even rotate it to get a vertical composition, and even resize it to zoom in to a specified area. And it's not digital zooming, with 4 megapixels, you have enough resolution to really tighten up on an area the same way you could in photoshop. But if I have to print from my computer, then all this is not reason enough to get the camera, so any help is very much appreciated.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:47 AM   #2

Any new printer that supports the Pictbridge standard like you new camera does is capable of using the direct print to make really prett good prints.

You should be able to take you camera and cable with you to BestBuy or whereever to make some test prints on plain paper to get an idea.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 7:01 AM   #3
AMG

I actually did that already and after the print dryed properly and the color "set" so to speak, I have to say the colors are perfect. And now that I think about it, it makes sense. The printer's automatic profile and gamut is probably very close to the the profile the camera captures in. It is only when you bring a print in the computer and do some editing that you could have a color discrepancy. I know that if your working space has a wider gamut like the web default, all these vivid primary colors that you may create with effects simply cannot be printed, and therefore the whole file's color is shifted depending on which method you use, perceptual, relative colorimetric, etc... I found out the hard way that the best way to work if I know my file is going to be printed on an inkjet is just to make sure I work in the color space of, or very close to, that of the printer. This way, there is no reason to soft proof my colors. Anyway, I was rambling, all this to say that I am quite happy that direct camera to printer printing seems to yield a perfect result, or at the very least, very very good. But, you must use that manufacturer's paper and ink, otherwise, you can profile the printer in the computer and you cannot use the direct printing method to achieve proper color.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote