Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:00 PM   #1

Default Print Head Problem

I am using a Canon i320 (cheap printer) for everyday text printing and it works great except:

I have this printer exactly 1 month past the warranty and this morning got an error message stating that the appropriate print head was not installed.

Prior to contacting Canon I removed the ink cartridges and print head, reinstalled all, checked all connections and received the same message again. This is exactly what Canon told me to do when I spoke to them.

Since it did not help they then said that the print head was bad and gave me a long distance phone number to purchase a new one.

What I would like to know is has anyone else had this type of problem and how did you solve it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:01 AM   #2

Hi You were right when you said 'cheap printer' These printers are not made for the caning they receive. They are meant for occasional use (check their duty cycle parameters) They also have a built-in redundancy factor, and the heads are nearly as dear as a new machine.

Cheers Bob Monk
gravityink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:35 AM   #3

Other than use an eraser to clean the electrical contact points on the head and printer, I can't think of anything you can do. I would probably purchase a new printer before buying the heads. You could get the new heads and find the problem is in the printer. Then you have a return hassle.

Staples has an Epson C86 for $80 after rebate and you get a $20 gift card with it. Buy some supplies with the card and you are into the printer for $60 with full ink cartridges. Not worth the hassle of a head change IMO.

I am reasonably happy with my Canon iP4000 and quite happy with my older Canon S9000. But if the heads crapped out on the iP4000 a month after the warranty ran out I would likely buy another brand just on principle.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote