Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 23, 2004, 1:51 PM   #11

I had a near disaster with stick on lables and have decided to switch to inkjet printable DVD's for the future. I am now trying to decide between the R300 and R800. Right now my main concern is which prints the best on DVD's, the abrasion resistance, etc.; lasting 100 years is of little concern. If anyone has done DVD printing with both the R300 and R800, I'd sure like to hear about the results. Unfortunately I am right in the middle of a project and will have to buy one or the other very soon (like tomorrow). Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
transco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 2:13 PM   #12

If the main differences between the R300 and R800 are the R800's higher resolution & archival ink longevity, and you don't need either, then it seems an easy choice which to use for printing CDs and DVDs. Save yourself some $$$.

From what I've read, the pigment inks of the R800 are more susceptible to scuffing. Not a problem if it's a print under glass, but for a CD or DVD it could be a problem.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 6:08 PM   #13

I washoping that perhaps the "gloss optimizer" overcoatwould afford extra protection when printing on DVD's / CD's. Another question for R800 owners... I see that the largest boarderless print is 8x10. For DVD case inserts I need to have an image size of 8.0" x 11" on an 8.5 x 11 inch page. Is this possible with the R800?
Old May 23, 2004, 6:31 PM   #14

I don't have my R800yet (still waiting for it to arrive, backordered). But more than one review said it can print on rolls, so you can go 8.5 wide by just about any length you want.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 8:19 PM   #15

Well I guess it depends on how the paper is handled. Boarderless printers I've used in the past use trays for the media, which allows the printer to print to the very edge. I have an Epson3000, which will print from roll stock, but that still doesn't allow me to print to the very top and bottom of a cut sheet. The R300 says it will make boarderless prints on letter size paper, so I know it will print the full 11" of a 8.5" x 11" cut sheet. I just need a R800 owner to tell me if the R800 will do the same.