Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:21 AM   #1

Default Epson R300 vs. R800

I am in the market for a new printer --- something that makes sense to match up with my Oly 560 3.2 camera and my 5 year old 400mhz p2 (256 ram) computer. I plan to do mainly 5X7's and occasional 8X10's.

I see the R300 is costing about $180 vs. the R800 at $400 --- what is the difference in the two --- my local dealer is pretty clueless.

In essence is the R800 worht the extra $200?
dhlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2004, 1:03 PM   #2

Default R300 vs R800

dhlambert,

I bought the R300 3 months ago. The only difference between the 2 is the R800 has an onboard screen to view the pics. I decided on the R300 since I would use my pc to view and edit pics. I am completely satisfied with my R300 since I mainly print 4x6 and 5x7 pics. I have a 2mp fuji camera and these pics print great. I did print an 8x10 from a pic that I had taken and it was okay. I have scanned studio 8x10s and they printed out sometimes better than the original. I would definitely recommend the R300 and an Epson printer over anyother brand out there.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 3:23 PM   #3

Default differences

I think harr840 is a bit misinformed on the R300/R800 differences.

The R300M is the R300 version with the LCD screen.

The R800 is a whole different type of printer. It uses the Ultrachrome inks. It also does not have an LCD, but uses a 1.5 picoliter drop vs the R300's 3 picoliter.

Hopefully someone who is a bit more versed in Epson than I am can give you run down on the advantages/disadvantages of the Ultrachrome inks.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 11:59 AM   #4

Three main differences: The R800 uses pigment based ink instead of dye based ink - R800 pictures supposedly last 100 years when printed on Epson paper and kept under glass. The R300 uses 6 inks where the R800 uses 8. The R800 has slightly better photo print quality.

p.s. the R800 really is a 6 color printer. But it has 8 ink tanks because it has 2 blacks (gloss & matte), and an extra "gloss" cartridge to optimize the look of the pigment based inks on glossy paper.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 2:31 AM   #5

Here are the difference btwn the printers:

R300($179)/R300M(has LCD$229): The r300 has 6 photo inks, consisting of black, cyan, lightcyan, magenta, light magenta, and yellow with a 3 picoliter droplet size. It uses dye ink as mrc01 stated.

R800: The r800 differsin the fact it has 8ink tanks,7colors and 1 for a gloss optimizer. They are matte black, black, red, blue, yellow, magenta,cyan. The red and blueare the"new" colors, they are supposed to give a better mix formore ofa true color print.Ther800 does not need the light magenta or light cyan due to the small 1.5 picoliter droplet size. (The r300 usesthem because it has a 3 picoliter droplet size, and the colors mixto"fool" the eye into thinking its seeing a smaller droplet size than 3. The r800 also uses pigment ink, the Espon Ultrachrome inks which last 100 years. Also the r800has a roll feed and cutterfor 4' or 8' photo roll paper. The r800 can also do panoramic a little bit larger than the r300. The r800is 8.3' by 44' while the r300 is 8.3' by 23.'

Those are the main differences. Are you going to 'see' the difference btwn 3 pico and 1.5 pico, probably not unless you are a professional photographer, because the type of ink and the droplet size will make a difference, if scrutinized very closely. If your buyinga printerfor your digital camera to print pics buy the r300, you'll love the prints from it. The r800 is more for the near pro or pro photographer.

I'm an Epson rep, and if you go to any CompUSA, which is the only place right now to have the r800, the Epson rep there will be more than happy to demonstrate both the r300 and r800 for you. We are there Fri 5-9pm, Sat 1-5pm, and Sun 1-5pm. Just thought I'd let you know if you needed anymore info.

epsonrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 2:04 PM   #6

I am considering purchasing either the R800 or the Epson 2200 because I only will

need a 8.5 x 11 for most of my work. My main concern is the quality of the print.

I was wondering if the Epson rep felt that the 2200 would deliver a higherquality

printthan the R800. Or for a more vibrant print would you go with the R800

if size was not an issue?Also can the R800 print on the cotton based art papers?

I do design work an use 3d programs but the end result is a PSD or JPG

file just as a photograph. Vibrant color is very important to me.

Thanks
krhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 5:15 PM   #7

I have just done my research on this printer from various sources both 3rd party reviews and from Epson directly. From what I read, the R800 has print qualitythat equals or exceeds the 2200. The main difference is the wide carriage of the 2200. If you do not need the wide carriage then I'd recommend doing what I did and ordering the R800.
Old May 16, 2004, 6:05 AM   #8

I just learned that the R800 does not allow the use of thicker papers as

the 2200 does. That may not be much of a drawback but now I have to

consider the higher cost inks for the R800. I guess the bottom line is I need

to have a print made on a R800 by someone who really knows how to use

the printer correctly.

Thanks
krhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 5:08 PM   #9

Yes pigment based inks are a little more expensive than dye inks but they are archival quality and last much longer.

If you don't need archival fine art quality output, then the Canon i960 or Epson R300 might be good choices for a printer. They're about the same speed, good quality and roughly half the price.
Old May 17, 2004, 1:22 PM   #10

I had heard many good things about the new R800. And since I was currently using an Epson, I was more than happy to spend the money on the R800.

However, perhaps it was my bad luck, but I was completely dissatisfied with it. I'm sure it's a good printer, and I'm not meaning to put any bad reputation on Epson, but it didn't live up to my expectations.

There was an overall dark, cloudy likeness over all the prints. At first glance, they were fine. But since I was comparing them to what my old Epson printed (which was rich, vibrant beautiful colors) I was shocked. In addition, on all the prints was a faint blue line. People have suggested perhaps I printed guides etc. But this was not the case. I even tried many different color management settings from the printer and Photoshop CS. Not to mention, I bought 4 different brands of paper to see if that contributed to my problem as well. I was determined to make the Epson work for me.

Now I know from reading this, it may sound as though I am exaggerating the final quality of the picture. However, I even took back the printer with my 30+ samples of before and after printed and they admitted to seeing an obvious difference. I even brought a CD with the pics on it, hoping they could print a sample from their floor (I even brought my own paper) to figure out the problem or even consider an alternative Epson. Unfortunately, they didn't want to take the time to do so, so I was forced to return it.

The one great advantage was it's ability to print great borderless pictures on pages as small as 3.5 X 5 (which was my hopes).

Now, after more time and money, I found a printed to print as good (if not better) than my original Epson- the Canon i960. BUT, it won't do my 3.5 X 5.

I'm sorry to make this so long winded. And hopefully, not everyone will encounter the same problems. Good Luck with whichever you choose.

Thanks for listening.
Michelle1102 is offline   Reply With Quote