Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:40 PM   #1

Default Royal Brites Brand Paper with Canon

I am looking to buy either a Canon 860 or 900. I have a 150 sheet box of Royal Brites Photo Paper High Gloss. The specs are 225 GSM, 96 bright. ("new and improved, instant drying")

Has anyone used this paper with Canons? I've read where the Canons perform best with the Canon paper. I rather not be stuck paying a premium for paper. For a truly fabulous print, I'll use the Canon paper for my favorite shots, but I would like to be able to use this other paper for other prints and the quality be good.

This paper works great with my old HP722C. (but the printer is not working great however, so I am wanting to upgrade)

Thanks.
ponton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Here's a less expensive and possibly better paper for Canons:

http://www.freephotopaper.com/stevesdigicams.htm

I like it because it isn't blue tinted when it first comes out of the printer the way that Photo Paper Pro is.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:22 PM   #3

Thanks! (great site you have here! I've used it a lot for cameras and just realized a few days you reviewed printers!)
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:02 PM   #4

Default Used the Royal Brites paper a couple of years ago

Ponton: I used the Royal Brites paper back in 2001 with my HP952C printer. The ink took over three weeks to dry (this is the black ink). Since I had bought a box at Sams Club that had a 150 sheets in it I was stuck with it. When I got my Canon S900 in 2002 I tried another sheet. The same results, the ink would take 3-4 weeks to dry. Now I use the paper as filler backing in my ablums. My advice is stay away from this paper.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:17 PM   #5

That is interesting. This box I got a few months ago has "new and improved - instant drying" on the corner. Coming out of my HP722C, it was pretty close to instant. I touched the surface and it didn't feel tacky.

It sounds like they win the "most improved" award!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 3:42 PM   #6

Default That is interesting

Ponton: That is interesting. Only the black was tacky on the prints I did with this paper but as I said, it took three weeks for it to finally dry. Maybe they have changed it. My wife works for Sam's Club and she tells me that she has had this paper returned by people because it won't dry. Let us know how it works out.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the information. I have two co-workers with Canon 850s. I will give one of them a sheet and report the findings!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:35 PM   #8

Boy what a coincidence... A guy I work with just gave me some Royal Briites Photo paper to run a test print! Apparently he has acquired a large supply of the stuff... his HP is dying and loves the prints I bring into work from my I9100... I printed a couple and they looked good... until I accidently put my thumb on it! oops! Still tacky! Not used to that! I will say though that the prints came out pretty descent... just have to tell him to let it dry for 3 weeks! LOL!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:45 PM   #9

My co-worker is printing a test page for me over this holiday weekend. I should get an email with results soon! If the results are favorable, I am gonna bite the bullet and go get a Canon printer and push the HP off for text stuff. I help run a car club, and I will dedicate it to the club needs...