Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:34 PM   #1

Default Epson C84 for text?

Apparently my husband isn't too fond of printing text with my new dye printer as he experienced water damage on his printed documents, rendering it unreadable.

Upon ordering my Epson rx500, I sold our "old" hp to my mother, which happened to use pigment black ink. He grew accustomed to the text prints of this printer and so naturally when he printed from my printer and found that water droplets easily ruined his documents...his nose crinkled up. lol

So...for under $100. I can pick up an Epson c84. My question is, how well does this print text documents?
Any known issues with this printer and are the printers long lasting, provided that good care is taken of them?

I ask as I have heard a few rumors here and there but wanted to hear from those here.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 5:10 PM   #2

Default C84

The C84 is really geared for text and the ink is waterproof (though, of course, the paper is not!) but if you wanted a second printer for just text, the C84 might fit the bill. It is not really geared for photos though.

The only drawbacks I have seen with the C84 are:

1) The default quality settings are set rediculously low. Something like 180x360dpi.. so as long as you don't mind cranking up the res all the time (for quality docs).

2) If you are using for a black printer, but run out of any of the color cartridges, you can not print anything until you replace the color thats out. A huge pain, in my opinion.

Another option if you are looking in that price tier is the Canon i560.

Fast text and geared for photos - though the text printing will *not* be waterproof on plain paper (though it will be on any coated paper type)

You can also print just black even when the color cartridges are empty or even removed. That I like.

Hope this helps.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 5:35 PM   #3

Thanks Mayhem for the response.

Quote:
1) The default quality settings are set rediculously low. Something like 180x360dpi.. so as long as you don't mind cranking up the res all the time (for quality docs).
He'd print for general purposes, so I don't suspect resolution would be of real concern (though good to know!).
However, think to purchase Qimage (liked the demo) and so when resolution is a concern, simply send it through Qimage first.

Quote:
2) If you are using for a black printer, but run out of any of the color cartridges, you can not print anything until you replace the color thats out. A huge pain, in my opinion.
I'm sure the same applies to my photo printer. This isn't a concern for me as I keep a good eye on ink levels and order replacements when I see that I am running low. I have to do this as my community doesn't offer inks for my printers. Having to order online, to save time and worry...I just go ahead and purchase replacements for the other inks.

Quote:
Another option if you are looking in that price tier is the Canon i560
I checked and do see that this printer uses a pigment black ink. So, for strictly black text...not a bad option. My first consideration being the C84...making for certain there'd be absalutely no complaints coming from my husband. lol "Black ink is tough...but what about the other colors? Arr!"

The only reasons I can think of for [my] not purchasing this printer;would be hearing negative feedback about text documents and longevity of the printer itself.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and giving me a heads up regarding dpi. I appreciate it.

~Kate
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:19 PM   #4

Default update

Just an update...I purchased this printer and hope to have it here within a few weeks. Upon getting it, I'll give a quick assement of how well it does...just in case others are curious.