Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:39 AM   #1

Default Canon S9000 color issues

My Canon S9000 prints a considerable degree to magenta when I ID the paper as 'gloss photo', regardless of the media. However, when set to 'plain paper' the color balance looks fine, again, regardless of the media used. Color setting is set on auto. Ideas?
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2004, 2:21 AM   #2

My S900 does the exact same thing.

one of the colours will not adjust under the Print Head Alignment. It always has lines trough it.

Phillip
Phillipda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:52 AM   #3

Default Canon S9000 profiles

Joe Barnhart has made some profiles for the S9000/S900 publicly available here:

http://www.wandb.com/icc.htm

I've used them to good effect on an S900 with mostly Epson glossy paper using the glossy photo paper setting. The unversioned set did give a very strong magenta shift that was actually hard to see on some skin tones, but easy to see on pure blues. The version 1.52 set corrected this problem and produced much better overall results. These results were better overall than the defaults.

Someone else suggested the photo film paper setting. This one also gave a more neutral colour balance than the default settings, but I found it to have a blue cast and relative lack of saturation in some cases. On the other hand, photo labs and UV haze can sometimes produce such blue casts, so the photo film setting can produce some of the most photo-like images. Too bad that Canon disables borderless printing with this setting.

You might want to try downloading a driver upgrade in case that's affecting your results. You should also use a good test image with some pure colours that'll make the evaluation process easier. The number of possible combinations of profiles, papers and settings gets high very quickly.

In all, I like Joe's profiles better than the other options available to me. They produce pretty good results that are hard to fault without access to better quality reference images. The only way I can think of improving, and one that's probably worth considering if you want near-perfect results, is to make a custom profile for your printer and paper.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:34 PM   #4

Default profiles for the S9000/S900

OK, to where do I download them and how do I use them? How do I put the downloads into effect?
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:59 PM   #5

Default Re: profiles for the S9000/S900

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnudelman
OK, to where do I download them and how do I use them? How do I put the downloads into effect?
You can download them using the link in the previous note. Click that, and then click link for the desired paper type to download. The zip file contains the profile, and also a text file that has installation and usage instructions, and contact information for the author.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote