Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 1, 2002, 1:43 PM   #1

Default Epson 870 Clogged Heads/What to Get

Hello All: I have used an Epson Photo 870 for digital phots since getting my Nikon 990. The results have been excellent but I've finally had a problem. I understand that the print heads are integral to the printer, and that they are prone to clogging periodically. When I've printed photos of late the color is off so I cleaned the heads and printed out the test pattern. In a nutshell, I've cleaned the heads many times, used a ton of ink, and still have gaps in the test pattern when printed out. Ideally, I'd like to know if it's possible to clean these heads myself or do I need to send it in? Probably as important, is it even worth sending in as the prices continue to drop on new models. It's just that with some tweaking in Photoshop, and using Premium Glossy Photo Paper, I've been so satisfied with the results I'd like to stick with this printer, or another Epson Photo model. If it's determined here that I need to scrap it and buy new, what's the latest word on Epson's photo printers? Thanks in advance. gary tuthill
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2002, 2:00 PM   #2

Hey Gary,
I'd recommend buying a new printer, considering that you can get a good one for less than $100 (Epson 820). I actually use the 785, but I've printed some pictures on the 820 and it has the same quality as my 785. If you want to print 11 X 17, than 1280 is the best buy ($399).
I hope, this helps!

- Cyberflaw
cyberflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:51 PM   #3
MK

If after a few cleaning doesn't solve your problem, just shut off the printer and let it sit overnight. The ink will soften up the clog. No need to waste more ink doing more cleaning that won't work.

If your printer consistenly clogs, I would just junk it since with the low cost of these things it's not worth sending it in (unless it's under warranty!). With Epson, the print head is an integral part of the printer and can't be replaced w/o much work.

My Epson 780 clogged so much I junked it for a Canon S820. No clogging so far. With my 780 it would clog after 4 days of non-use! What a piece of garbage! BTW, I've been an Epson user since their dot matrix MX-80. Never owned anything else until the switch to Canon.
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:12 AM   #4

Default 13x19 prints with 3.1MP's?

Hello again: The 870's clog didn't clear despite letting the ink 'soften' and several more cleaning cycles so I'm assuming it's shot. Just ordered an S9000 (you're gonna bankrupt me Steve!) and several sizes of Photo Pro Paper. What's the concensus on using 3.1MP's (Nikon 990) to print at 13x19"? Somehow, I've got a feeling that it's going to require a camera upgrade as right now on the 870 I print on 8 1/2x11" paper with an input of just over 200dpi. Thanks! gt
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 10:53 AM   #5

I hope I'm not too late with this info. Here is how to un-clog it.

http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/#ClogCleanning
rstark18 is offline   Reply With Quote