Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:40 AM   #1

Default Here we go again!!

Not to start a huge debate issue again, but i have read thru so many post and reviews my eyes and brains are swollen from trying to decide which photo printer is best for me. I have narrowed it down to four, cannon s900, s820 or epson 785epx or 890. I print a lot of 8x10 and normal text printing, but I want execellent photo quality and speed. I dont use a digital camara, so printing without the pc is of no use to me, I usea 35mm (for shooting action shots, driver photos my hp940c does 1200X2400 8x10 in 20 min, thats not going to cut it anymore, plus the photos are so so, sometimes great) My delima is I have continuely read that the epson printers have been know for great photos, but they have ink head clogging problems, you can print in different resollution which is also good for general printing, but can use alot of ink (exsp. for what I am doing) The cannon's I have seen some great pictures out of them, they have replaceable ink color cartridges ( if they run out at the same time exp.) and only have one print resolution option 2400x1200 (not good for text?) I dont want problelms, because I need this printer to last me for a little while, do the job I need and cant afford for it to break down or stop printng in the middle of a huge job at 1:00am. I only have around $350 to spend. I know this is a huge debate, but sure could use your guys input.
Terri
hhracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:43 PM   #2
lg

Epson C-80 is the newest and fastest available printer I know of. 15 ppm black, separate color cartridges, and I paid $150 for it new. I would highly recommend it.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 8:52 PM   #3

The canon S750 will do 20ppm black or
13ppm color. It's a four color printer,but the pics still look great. @150$
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:13 PM   #4

Default Hmmmm...

I have an Epson 875DC (old guy now) and am very pleased with the results. Yes, if you do not use it, you need to clean the heads and/or replace the cartridge - but I print almost all the time so it is not a big deal.

If I were on the fence, I would only spend $100-$150 and go get the entry level printer (Epson, Canon - whatever) and save the money until I could get a higher end printer (Epson 2200 comes to mind http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...pson2200.shtml). Printers now days are all much improved and if you wait, you will get the 2200 on sale or the 34xx model ;-). In the end, rather than think which is better between apples and oranges, consider if you are a apple or orange fan - they are both great fruits ;-)

Good luck and enjoy which ever one you get ;-)
larsonhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:22 PM   #5

Can't give you a real technical answer, but I've been real pleased with the 785EPX. I had some trouble with it a while back (I think it took a power surge) and Epson replaced it.

I've had nothing but good results with the output.
E.B.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 3:14 PM   #6

look at those ppm rates as a reference only. they base the ppm on a total 15% coverage of each page. now we all know that our images cover a "TINY" bit more than that. that reference is also valid for the ink consumption rate again 15%. any of this years models print engines will print faster than "last years model". thats just progress. look at the ink cost also. lexmark is the killer at approx $32 avg for a 3 color cartridge alone. epson depending on the model averages at about $20 for a 5 color and 22 for blk.

i base thes prices on web prices quickly looked up.

conclusion
rated speed is not what is cracked up to be.
other factors such as ink price do come into play for large print runs.

in defense of epson in the clogging issue. had a 750. friend has it now never had a problem. still printing away. excellent output
have a 1270 love it. never had a problem.
have a 2200 on order( strictly speciality item for photo images) i dont think i want to print a report with pigment dyes and have it last 80 yrs under glass

canon. the 900 has seperate tanks. and excellent photo output. long term cost structure on ink is higher at an average of $10.50 per color/cartridge. longevity is reported high for prints under glass.

lots of math to do and issue to think about

and for those of us who drink the ink:

http://www.inkjetart.com/cis/index.html

for epson only. not available for canon.

just put in some data points that hopefully help without stirring up a hornets nest.

[Edited on 9-9-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:59 PM   #7

Default thanks!

I appreciate your input, its been a hard decision to make and probably making it harder than I should. The photo quality is very important to me and so is speed (not talking 8x10 in 2min) would like to do them around 10min. Everyone here gets alittle fussy when I hog the computer with my picture making
Ter
Old Sep 9, 2002, 11:09 PM   #8

with either canon or epson today you can spit one 8/10 in under 8 minutes without a problem. probably faster. steves review of the canon 9000 he owns claims 2 minutes fo an 8/10 same for the 900. quite impressive. the 2200 is in the same ballpark a little slower at 4 minutes. price difference is the wildcard the 900 is in the $350 area 9000 $450 and the 2200 is at the $699 price point at the moment. longevity on the canons is up to 25 yrs in their prescribed condition where epson is from 44-80 yrs on certain papers. the 960 epson is from 10-26 years and the same for 1280. there are dpi differences but all in all the all put out good quality prints. the advantage i hate to admit leans to the canon 900/9000 fo the seperate tanks but that can be countered by epsons ink prices which are lower.
not much help am i ?

[Edited on 9-10-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 1:14 PM   #9

From what I have read both the epson and cannon put out good pictures with some hitches here and there. The ink cost is a factor, but if I go thru a cart of epson once a week then its $20-$25 if the cannon only runs out of certain colors then its $9.99-$11.99 for each cart., but run out of all its $60-$70, does anyone have exp with either to know how much they tend to use???
Old Sep 10, 2002, 1:41 PM   #10

I have printed approx. 50 4"x 6" photos,
from a canon S750. The ink level has barely dropped. Plus, if I do run out , I can buy at 5$ a cart.
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote