Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 30, 2004, 6:54 PM   #1

Default Seek Printer Recommendation (Which One?)

Greetings to all...I am seeking opinions for selecting between printer choices and where to buy.

Quick Overview

I am relatively new to digital photography with a recent purchase of a FujiFilm FinePix S5000. (Sure wish I'd discovered Steve's review B4 I purchased on eBay a few months back as I also strongly considered a Canon Powershot.) My purchase decision was swayed by the lower pricing and telephoto capacity of the S5000. Over time it seems I did get a pretty good package price w/case, batteries & charger, and 128mb pic card for a middling quality 3mp camera.

I am not a photo hobbiest, per se, taking mostly general family pics, vacations, etc. But I think I have a little more discerning eye than what I preceive the run-of-the-mill picture taker does.

I have an HP laser as my primary printer, so my principal use of the inkjet will be as a photo printer, secondarily for occassional graphics. Operating cost is as important to me as is overall picture printing quality; speed is a secondary consideration as I won't be doing volume printing.

The Questions

From reviews and comments here and elsewhere, I'm leaning toward the Canon i960, although I'm also considering the less expensive i860 -- any more knowledgeable opinions about choosing between the two based on my above info. about picture taking and use of the printer would be most appreciated! And now, finally, based on your experience/expertise, are there recommended vendors for buying my printer? I've had good experiences in the past with Amazon, and they currently offer the lowest price w/free shipping at $178. for the i960 (if that is indeed the best cost/value printer for my use). I've watched eBay for a couple of weeks and found nothing enticing there. But maybe price isn't always everything when selecting a commercial vendor - or is it for these printers?

Thank you for taking time to read all this, and for your comments.

Kindest,
-Doug-
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:26 PM   #2

Default which

I don't think you can go wrong with either the i860 or the i960.

However, if you already havea laser unit and are looking for the best quality photo output, then I'd say go the i960, as it is a high end six color photo unit.

The i860 is an excellent choice as well as a photo printer. The i860 has a black text cartrige, as it is geared to be a mixed breed unit, in that it can do high end photos and business text output.

But like I said, if you already have a laser for your text output and want the higher photo output quality. Go i960.

Both units also use individual ink tanks, so cheap on the ink.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2004, 1:27 AM   #3

Thanks for your helpful comments, Don. I also took a spin on your nice website - kudos. I've always been fascinated by aviation, especially military and experimental.

-Doug-
Old May 7, 2004, 2:35 PM   #4
jq

Doug,

Did you make decision on Canon printer? I have been looking at i860 and i960 also, but I want one that also does decent text, and is cheaper to run. Canon rep recomm 860 the first time we talked and the 960 the second time! Right now, Fryes has the 960 for same price as 860, due to a mailin rebate. I saw photos from both and they look good but 960 were definitely brighter although maybe not realistic. Also don't like having to use their paper with high prices to get that quality. I guess I could keep my hp952c for text use.
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 5:17 PM   #5

My Hp printer died after 4 years and I elected to purchase the I960 with the $30 rebate. Price deliver from www.newegg.com was $178 less the $30 rebate. It may be the best printer released at a $150. The prints are fast and quite. They were so quite that I was wondering if the priinter was working until it spit out the 4X6 print in a little over 30 seconds. One great printer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:53 PM   #6

jq wrote:
Quote:
Doug,

Did you make decision on Canon printer? I have been looking at i860 and i960 also, but I want one that also does decent text, and is cheaper to run...
jq - I went with the i960 because I will use it almost exclusively forpics -- based on reviews from Steve and others, plususer opinions.Many reviews note that the i960 is optimized forphotograpyusingquality stock, a little less so for printing graphics and text on plain paper. If you are leaning toward multi-purposeuse with equal or moretext printing than pictures, my opinion isto look harder at the i860 or other4-ink system designed for that.

BTW - if you haven't already, check out the thread in same forum "Help With Choosing a Printer."Comments there recommend the i860 for your use.
Old May 14, 2004, 12:13 AM   #7

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
...I elected to purchase the I960...The prints are fast and quite. They were so quite that I was wondering if the priinter was working until it spit out the 4X6 print in a little over 30 seconds. One great printer.
I haven't set mine up yet (two kids graduating hs and college over the pastweek). I'm curious about printer profiles for different paper and just read the blurb on the Red River web site. Have you tried the Canonand your Red River on your new unit yet - what'd you think? Didyoutrythe Red River profile(s)- if so, how'ditgo (set up and results)?
Old May 14, 2004, 4:05 PM   #8

I have used the Redriver 68lb Ultra Gloss and the Canon paper that came with i960. The Redriver paper won. The Canon paper colors were darker and more saturated.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 7:40 PM   #9

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
I have used the Redriver 68lb Ultra Gloss and the Canon paper that came with i960. The Redriver paper won. The Canon paper colors were darker and more saturated.
Thanks for the insight. Do you have any experience with or opinion about printer profiles for each kind of paper? Have you looked at or tried the profiles offered on red river's web site?

-Doug-
Old May 21, 2004, 3:35 PM   #10

I am also debating between the i860 and the i960. One thing I can't seem to find is an estimate of how fast the i960 is for normal printing. Everyone talks about how fast it is for photos but seem to carefully avoid any mention of normal (lettter, web page prints, documents w/ small amount of color, etc) printing.

Has anyone seen anything?
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote