Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 4, 2004, 11:56 PM   #1

I just purchased a canon i860. I have read that epsons seem to 'clean' the heads every time they are powered on, as well as doing it every few hours when they are left on. I have been leaving my i860 on, and have not observed it doing this.

I typically only print about 5 pages a day, and only a photo a week if that (which is why I got the i860, which prints text fast ). Which of the following should I do?

(A)turn on the power saving feature in the driver panel (which autopowers off after being idle for a set amount of time, and wakes up the printer on a print job).

(B)leave it on all the time.

(C)turn it on and off manually when I'm using it and not.

I can't imagine the printer uses much if any power when it's not printing, so my primary concern is wear/life of the heads and ink in the cartridges. Does anyone have any advice? I looked in the sorry excuse for a user guide, but there wasn't much in there.

Thanks!
the7trumpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2004, 2:49 PM   #2

Hi

I`m lucky. I have the new Canon i9950 Photo printer and I contacted Canon Tech to enquire about auto on/off. Their advice is to activate auto on/off and if your printer has a variabletimeout delay, set this to 5 minutes if you can. With the printing you are doing you should have no problem with head cleaning and doing it more often than needed is only wasting ink. It should do a quick clean when switched on or auto activated.

Hope this helps

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 5:20 PM   #3

I have an Epson R200 and Canon i860. The Canon I have set to auto power down the Epson is continuously on. The Canon time to print first page is faster than the Epsonand it does not clean the heads when going on like the Epson does. Either that or the clean is really fast.

Canon sells the ink cartridges cheaper and doesn't seem to waste ink like Epson.

If Canon would give us the printers with CD printing ability I would dump the Epson (and it's only a few weeks old).

:-?Now I need to think again the i9100 just dropped to $299 is the 9900 $200 better than the 9100??? I really want bigger prints for my portfolio...

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 7:24 PM   #4

Just to let you know Castledude, some of the newer Epson's if left on, do an automatic head clean after a number of hours to prevent the heads from clogging. I haven't seen the r200 do this in person yet, however I have seen the r300 do it. So its best to turn if off, so you dont waste any ink needlessly. And that might be your reason of having to change the cartridges so rapidly.
epsonrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 1:40 PM   #5

I`ve had the new i9950 (in the UK). It is the 9900 in the US. I`ve had it a few weeks now and it is awesome. Steve has just reviewed it and you can see his comparison 9100/9900 prints. In our digital club they are knocked out with the print quality. Even the Epson 2100 diehards say they can`t compete. It is definatly worth the money. I don`t know about the US 9900 but the 9950 does CD labeling and its no problem. Ink use seems to be quite economical. I checked with Canon technical again and YES set it to auto on/off and the off after about 5 minutes. You will not waste ink and as long as you switch it on (not print) about every 2 weeks there will not be a problem with head cleaning.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 2:19 PM   #6

Leave it on. My i960 is always on, and it will automatically clean the heads periodically right before a print job. Maybe every 1-2 weeks.
maseace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 12:17 AM   #7

Personally, I always set mine to auto off after about a minute.

But the reason I am posting is I just saw the following posted on an internal Canon web board by an "official" regarding the on/off concept.

"Allways turn the printer off using the printer O/O switch so the head moves to the right and caps , making it air tight. so the ink doesn't dry up in the nossels . Never leave the printer on all of the time."
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote