Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 8, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1

Any help in printer choice would be welcome. I am new to digital photopgraphy having just bought a Fuji 7000. I need a printer for printing A4 photo qulaity prints and general print work (kids homework, word documents etc. etc.) Although price is a consideration, I don't want to buy the cheapest. I also want something that is reasonably economical in terms of price per page. Printing speed is important as well, as I hate waiting around too long for things to print out. Print quality is the most oimportant issue - I want to print out photos to frame and hang around the house.

nmbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2004, 1:25 PM   #2

Canon - no doubt. Excellent photo quality from any of the six-ink printers, and very economical to run.

ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks C Comley. Any suggestions as to which one? The i 865 and 965 look pretty good.
Old May 11, 2004, 5:53 PM   #4

865 if you want a great combo printer (fast cheap text+ good/great quality photos)
I use them in my portfolio and they compare well to epson 2200 prints.

965 if you want photos mainly (much better quality photos more expensive for text)
has a standalone option if you want it (no computer required printing)

995 if you want almost the ultimate (just getting out) adds an extra color for even more punch.

9950 check out the new review.. Awesume ..best of everything (except price per page for text).

Epson (slower, costs more per page, but better quality than 865/965)

R200 .. Cheapest
R300M .. Like the 965.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 4:42 AM   #5

A couple more questions please. Why is the 965 more expenive for text? Is the photo quality that much better?

I plan to use the printer to produce A4 size photos from a Fuji 7000 (at 5mp) to decorate our home. But I also need an everday printer too.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks
Old May 12, 2004, 5:46 PM   #6

The i860 has two black cartridges one for photos (6 series) one for text (3 series) the black 3 series holds 2-3 (or more) times the ink but costs not much more than the 6 series blackcartridge.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the i860.Use the new Kodak paper it gives long life toCanon prints.

As you probably know, the way the photo printers work isby spraying dot patterns (the ink doesn't mix) close together to fake your eyes into seeing a color. By adding the two extra colors (Photo Magenta, and Photo Cyan) they fake a dot that is even smaller. The i860 has a pretty good native resolution so it is as good as any of the photo printers that are onegeneration back.

So the i860can produce prints that are basically the same as the prints from the olderi950, and even better thanthe old s9000.

Isit the absolute best.. No .. Will it look pretty darn good when you mount itand frame it ... Definately.

I advise going over to the S9000 review and checking out the picture of the person holding prints by the S9000 that is the kind of print you will get from the i960.

----------------------------------

Doh .. I screwed up the last line this is what Iwanted to say theS9000 is the same print quality as the i860 so use the picture in the S9000 review as an example of what you will get.

In another post Steve admitted that heupgraded from the S9000 to the i9100not for its print quality (it was better butnot that much better) but for its other features. However he is upgrading to the new i9900 for its print quality.

I found the same thing, I bought the i860 before the i960 came out with the intention of getting the i960 for photos and the i860 for day to day printing. After seeing the quality i860I never did get an i960.

I ended up getting an Epson R200 recently but I wanted it just for its ability to print on CDs and DVDs.

Old May 13, 2004, 7:25 AM   #7
AMG

nmbradley, get the i860 if you need the printer for everyday printing as well. I just got it and it's great, people will tell you that the i960 can print better gradations in color due to the 2 additional colors, photo magenta and photo cyan, but unless you are a professional photographer taking close up portraits and printing them very large, you may not see a difference. I did a couple of tests before I bought the printer.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 12:21 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm still unsure. Has anyone out there compared 13 x 9 photos or larger on both the Cannon i865 (860 in the US I think) and the Epson R300.

I really need an all round printer (text etc) but do not want to be dispaaointed with the quality of phots.

Thanks all - again

Old May 22, 2004, 11:36 PM   #9

nmbradley wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm still unsure. Has anyone out there compared 13 x 9 photos or larger on both the Cannon i865 (860 in the US I think) and the Epson R300.

I really need an all round printer (text etc) but do not want to be dispaaointed with the quality of phots.

Thanks all - again

I have both an i860 and an r200 (same quality as the r300). I assume 13x9 is in cm so that is about like the US 4"x6" print.

As I stated earlier the r300 does produce better prints using the extra inks (two extra colors) it will fake a better resolution and give you a better print.

The quality is not that much better though. When I got the i860 I fully planned on buying an i960 later just for photos (the i960 had not been released yet). After using the i860 for a month I realized that the quality up to 8x10 is so good that I could not justify buying the i960. Later I did buy the R200, but I still use the i860 most of the time for prints. I bought the R200 entirely for the CD printing feature (the US versions of the Canon does not include that feature), but I did do some comparison prints .. I still prefer the higher speed and lower cost of the i860.

Old May 23, 2004, 9:03 AM   #10

Thanks Castledude (you must tell me how you got to that name!!!). Actually, I was referring to 13 inches by 10 inches and maybe even larger. Did you print anything out that large on the i860 and if so, how good were they?