Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 21, 2004, 2:10 PM   #1

i am somewhat of a newbie and I am looking for the best picture. Speed is not that important to me. it's down to the Epson 2200 and the canon i9900. which is the best printer. I am no pro at this point but I would like to think of myself getting to that level at some point. Is the 2200 out dated?

sybbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 7:06 PM   #2

The 2200 is not outdated it still has a few features that are better than the 9900.

Longer life with standard paper.
Panorama image printing.

"The 9900 has now set a new standard for color and with special paper can do long life.

All the new generation printers from HP, Epson and Canon do amazing prints and are now rivaling lab work.

Would I sell the 2200 and get a 9900?No, not from what I have seen the 2200 is a great printer.

If choosing what would I buy ? For me the 9900 wins on too many counts, if I must have an epson I would wait for a while. I have a 9900 on order...
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

If you are a Macintosh user, stay away from Epson. They have a million problems with color matching. I am basically throwing out my 2200. i just got an i900D and it is amazing and no problems at all. i gave Epson every chance to solve the problem and after months and hours, no single picture printed worth a damn.
Lenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:06 PM   #4

The 2200 has great respect. But the i9900 is just a printing powerhouse. Two picoliter droplets, lab quality photo output, individual tanks, pictbridge, and fast.

I hear a lot of folks on this board who are looking for a new printer say "speed does not matter".. well, bull. If you have to sit and watch some printer crack out an 8x10 in 10 minutes or a Canon that can do it in 1 minute... you won't hold that "speed doesn't matter" concept for too long.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:02 PM   #5

Another issue is that Epson printers are prone to clogged printheads when used intermittently. The printheads are prohibitively expensive and usually not worth repairing.Some Canon printers have replaceable printheads.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:26 PM   #6

I have been using the Canon i560 for nearly 2 months. The picture quality is great and from my comparisons is better than the photo lab. Also it only cost 78 bucks at Sam's. I have printed many photos (5X7, 4X6) and still haven't ran out of ink. It's pretty quick too. I would recommend this printer for anyone on a budget.
martom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:53 AM   #7

Regarding printheads, all of the Canon printer line went to lifetime (but also user replaceable) printheads about two years ago.

The only time I see issues with customers coming in with Canon printheads have gone bad, we come to find they have used third party inks or refill kits. Thats when that user replacable part comes in handy.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 6:53 PM   #8

Any inket islikely to clogif it sits for a long time without printing.Though Epson may be more prone to it, don't know about that. My 2 Epson printers do fine and I only print a couple times per month.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:31 AM   #9

The canon user replaceable printheads is one of the reasons I bought the Canon i960. The others are speed and great print quality. I disposed of my old Epson printer because of the printheads always becoming clog even though I only used Epson print cartridges.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote