Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 24, 2004, 12:11 PM   #1

I'm very interested in getting this printer but have a question. Steve's review mentioned this printer can do USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and Firewire (with Mac). Looking at the photo in the review ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/images6/i9900_io.jpg ),neither USB connector appears to be the old style whichis more rectangular in shape. I thought this was the original 1.1.

Can any of you owners verify this? I'd love to have this printer but I would need to resolve this first. Maybe there is an adapter out there which would be an easy fix?

TIA,

Tony

proton777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2004, 12:16 PM   #2

You'll get a cable that comes with the printer that will have a regular USB connection one end (For you PC) and a connection on the other that fits into the port you see there. The other one is IEE 1934 aka Firewire.

Chipseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 7:21 PM   #3

Thanks Chipseh. I thought maybe the new USB 2.0 had a different connector style and that's what the picture was showing. Makes sense now. Much appreciated.
Old May 25, 2004, 10:21 AM   #4

No problem, glad I could help.
Chipseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:23 PM   #5

Well my printer finally arrived today and setup was a snap until I got to the part where it said to hook up the USB cable. There was no cablein the box and the documentation doesn't list it as an included item. So I'm back to the question in my first post about the funky-looking USB connectors on back of the printer. I need a standard USB on one end for the PC side and the the odd USB for the printer side, shown here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/images6/i9900_io.jpg

Anyone else come across this obstacle?

TIA,

Tony
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:35 PM   #6

UUUUMMMMM.....

Most printers do not include printer cables. A conspiracy to be sure.

However, that is a standard USB connection. Any USB peripheral cable will work with that, just like any other USB printer. That is not some special or rare connection.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 8:23 PM   #7

There are two types of ends on USB cables "A" and "B".

The "A" is the familiar flat looking end

The "B" is a square end.

Most computers have "A" for the I/O most printers and scanners have the "B" type.

Any good computer supply store wiull have them. I even picked up some at Big-Lots (the old Pic-n-save) here in California for $3 each. The USB 2.0 cables are supposed to have extra shielding but any cable will work.

Here is an example cable http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...duct_id=932031
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 8:42 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I finally got it figured out. Up to now, I had only seen the type ofUSB connector on the PC side which is the flat type. I had always assumed a standard USB was the same on both ends.

Castledude, you gave the perfect explanation. My printer is now up and running and really making stunning prints. Much appreciated.