Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 27, 2004, 10:54 AM   #11

Does the R200/300 have the"CD/DVD Premium Surface"quality atribute that the 800 have, or just a normal "CD/DVD".Heard frome some R800 owners that changing to the "premium surface" quality made a hell of a diffrence.
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 11:18 AM   #12

Yes the driver has a CD/DVD and CD/DVD Premium surface settings. I never noticed it before but I was using the Software that comes with the EPSON for CD/DVD printing. Don't know what differences it makes.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:11 AM   #13

I've been considering between Epson R200 and Canon i860 too. Could you help me out:

what i wants most out of a printer is this (prioritized):

1. printing panoramic 4"x12" (Epson has this function)

2. Ink usage. and able to print black text with less ink (Canon's good for this)

I'm very into getting the Canon but it doesn't allow panoramic printing. The best it can do is printing a U.S. #10 envelope size 4x9.5". CastleDude, since you own this printer, is there some way we can get panoramic pictures out of this? And i'm also concern that Canon pictures fate. I know Kodak papers will solve this problem but Kodak papers are very expensive. What other types of papers are compatible with Canon printers? I'm also open to other printers if they're proven to do both, such as Canon photo printers i9xxx series (can they print panoramic?).
sfpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:48 AM   #14

Unfortunately as you have noticed there is no "perfect" printer. My solution was to get both (it's not that bad when you consider a Canon and Epson together can be picked up for about $200). The Canon is my everyday and photoprinter while the Epson I use for CD/DVD printing.I have not doneany panoramic printing. I will be getting an i9900 pretty soon to take over photo printing.

The i9900 will give you larger panoramas (up to 23" long). But will drink down the black ink when printing text. Canon cantheir printers do panoramas but have decided to only support paper they make. If enough people want it somebody will come up with a hacked driver or Canon will give us this feature.

As for longivity even if you don't use the Kodak paper, the life is not that bad being rated at about 25 years now. I figure if anybody wants a reprint in 25 years I'll give it to them for free on my new even better printer. You can get a spray UV coating which will increase the life even more.

Personally if the panoramas were that important to me and I could only have one printer I would just eat the cost of the black cartridge and get a R200 or even a 2200 wide format Epson.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:06 PM   #15

Can anyone give me the straight dope on using Kodak Ultima colorfast paper with the Epson r300? Also does anyone know the longevity of prints made with Epson paper?

Thanks for the help,

Bob
RobertinArabia is offline   Reply With Quote