Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 26, 2004, 3:20 PM   #1

I recently retired my 2yr old Epson Photo 780 , mainly due to constant problems with clogged heads and ink carts showing up as "empty" after only a few pages of printing then sitting idle for long periods.I was VERY much against going Epson ever again, since my last Stylus Photo died from clogged heads as well. I ran out and bought a Canon i860, and was very impressed with the quality and speed of this unit, but a friend showed me his new R300 in action. I was hooked when I saw a dvd printed before my eyes! Damn Canon for not releasing the i865 here in the U.S.!!!

So, I took the Canon back and got the R300. This thing better work or I'm forever boycotting all Epson products. Now I'm looking for any tips to keep the heads in good condition. I've searched the web and found conflicting information. Some folks say to leave the printer OFF when not in use...others suggest to always leave it ON (due to periodic auto head cleaning routines). This leads me to another question. If Epsons do indeed auto head clean every so many hours...doesn't that use all your ink up over time?

I never used any 3rd party ink or carts in my old Epsons, btw. Only OEM.

Thanks,

Mitch
mitchgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2004, 12:14 PM   #2

All the inkjet printers I've used at home or work clog up unless they get used on a regular basis. Left ON, left OFF, whatever didn't matter. I was especially mad at my old Epson 880 for this and almost about to take an axe to it. But once I figured that out, I now print at least once every week or two and none of them clogs anymore, even when using cheap 3rd party ink.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote