Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 28, 2004, 9:55 AM   #1

I recently did a comparison test of borderless 4x6" printing on both the Espon R300 and Canon i860. On the 860 I printed direct from the camera (Canon S30), and on the R300 I printed direct from the CF card. Strange thing is the R300 seems to have cropped some of the outer portions of the printed image. The print of the same image from the 860 clearly has more of the photo inside the 4x6 area. Is this normal for a bit (about 1/4") to be cropped when printing on the Epson?

Thanks,
Mitch
mitchgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 1:25 PM   #2

My *guess* would be, from past experience, that it's not a difference between the R300 & i860.. but maybe the fact that Pictbridge is more accurate than the older card readers.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 2:05 PM   #3

Well, the 860 doesnt use pictbridge. It uses the old Canon "Direct Print" protocol. Also, the card reader in the R300 isnt exactly "old"...and shouldnt it just be reading theimage from the card as a file? How would this affect cropping?
Old May 29, 2004, 11:33 AM   #4

Sorry, but you need to be corrected on your statement.The Canon i860 is INDEED Pictbridge compatible. Furthermore, all Canon printers that are Pictbridge will also run the older Bubblejet Direct Print capability for the older Canon cameras that are not Pictbridge enabled.
Old May 29, 2004, 8:21 PM   #5

Right. What I should have said is that I wasn't printing via PictBridge since the S30 doesn't support it (Canon Direct Print only).

-Mitch
Old May 30, 2004, 4:40 AM   #6

Hmm, ok. So direct print vs card reader. Have you tried a few other shots on each to see what happens? See if the R300 consistantly "overcrops" vs the direct camera printing?