Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 31, 2004, 2:07 PM   #1

I have been a long time Epson user and been looking for something to replace my crippled Epson Photo 1200.

I didn't use my large format printing cabilities like I thought I would need to with the 1200, so I figure going down in size (From say a Epson i9900 to the Canon i960) isn't going to effect me. And the 4x6 paper tray in the Canon would be used much more effectively, so it looks like my favorite camera manufacturer will be my favorite printer manufacturer now.

Been reading the reviews onthe i860 and i960 and am wondering if this summarizes the difference between the two...

i860 Better Text with Good Photo

i960 Good Text with Better Photo

My 1200 wasn't very good at all with text... and I imagine either would be better... My main use is a photo printer while the wife does print off reciepes and such for herself.

The price difference is not an issue. But would like to hear (if anyone has any) results comparing the two.

TIA

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him? - Tom Clancy
Kukur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 9:50 PM   #2

I have the i960, whigh I use primarily as a photo printer but I do occasionally print out work orders with it also. The photos are fantastic and I use the heck out of the 4x6 prints, but the text on the work orders come out crisp and clear enough for me.
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 11:11 PM   #3

Overall, thats a pretty good round up.

The i860 uses a text black as well as a CMY plus photo black for photographic printing. The photos are stunning. The text output is like lightning.

The i960 uses CMY plus the photo black and adds photo magenta and photo cyan. So it has a far larger gradational range. Though not really geared to be a text printer, it can do it.

I have had a fair amount of people prefer the images off of the i860 vs the i960.. if that tells you how good the i860 prints.

Just ask yourself how much text/doc printing you need to do. If its an even split with photos or great, go i860. If you are primarily looking for a dedicated photo unit, go i960.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:30 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I think we would do more photo than text right now (unitl my wife goes back to school in a year or two.) But I am going to see if I can get my hands on a comparison print between the two to solildify the decision.

I really like the speed of the 960 on the prints:

860 - Borderless 8.5x11" High quality, Photo Paper Pro ....... 2 min. 55 sec.
Borderless 4x6" High quality, Photo Paper Pro ......... 1 min. 11 secs

960 - Borderless 8.5x11" high quality, Photo Paper Pro ...... 1 min. 25 secs.
Boarderless 4x6" high quality, Photo Paper Pro ......... 35 secs.

I think for the speed I can take the hit on text and when the wife goes to school if we aren't happy pic up a dedicated printer for her.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:33 AM   #5

I recentlyreplaced an old Epson witha Canon i960. The photo results have been stunning. The text is not as dense as with the Epson but it is quite acceptable for everyday use. My daughter printed a resume using the slow print highest quality setting and it came out just fine. For photos, it is fast and very easy to use with Canon's Easy Printsoftware. A friend bought an 860 recently and gets good text but the photo results are not nearly as good as mine. I was curious howmy machine would handle a high quality file so I downloaded a Kodak church interior taken with their 14meg camera - (6mg JPEG) and printed it. My friend liked my print and did the same. No contest - the 860makes a nice print but the extra inks and higher resolution of the 960 really makes a difference.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:57 PM   #6

Thanks ADSchiller... that's what I was waiting to hear.

Godspeed.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:11 PM   #7

I have both a photo printer and general-purpose printer. I think I would go for the i860 if I could have only one printer. Not only is text a lot better with pigmented black, your ink costs are much lower for printing text with a large pigmented black tank. A photo printer is also slower at text.

But for your situation a 960 would give better photos and the occasional text you do wouldn't be too big a deal. When your wife stars school you can get an inexpensive GP printer that will do great text. It is no hassle at all to have more than one printer hooked up.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:18 AM   #8
AMG

I have the i860. PIctures are great and it is a hybrid, so I only need one. I had an older text printer, but I thought, if it breaks, I'll regret not getting the i860, plus I'd rather have one printer, I won't accidentally print on the wrong one. But wait there's more, unless you take professional photographs with a very good camera, perhaps one that captures raw data, then it would be difficult to see the difference between the quality even though the i960 has photo cyan and photo magenta. Take a picture of a model close up with perfect lighting and print 8x10, then you'll probably see a difference.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:35 AM   #9

Actually, i orderd a i965 but since canon can't deliver it and have no idea of when they can deliver it,Igrabbedthe i865 and i have to say i have no regrets.

I also got the shop (and canon) to print out some of my pictures on the i965, and when i look at them now, and compare them to the pictures from i865 i can't see much diffrence, if any at all (no i don't need lenses or glasses ), I have also shown them to 4 other people, and them either didn't see much or any diffrence at all.

So i guess you can't go wrong with any of them, if you want to spend to extra $$$, go i960, if not you will most probably be more than happy with the i860 and spend the $ for paper and toner.

Here in europe (atleast in norway)the price diffrence is about 100$
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote