Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

Today I got the R800 that I've had backordered for several weeks. I develop RAW images using CaptureONE to JPG using the sRGB color space. This way a single JPG file serves for my web site, archival and printing and it looks the same in non-color matched applications.

Color matching was easy to set up.The Epson driver has a built-in preset for sRGB and the print matches the screen.

The resolution, contrast and colors look superb. Biggest print I've done so far is 11x7.3 (max full page size with no crop) and it looks at least as good as a good quality print from a lab. This is the best I've seen from an inkjet printer. No grain, no dots, no banding and excellent longevity due to the pigment inks.

One issue I've noticed are that in 4x6 borderless mode it slightly enlarges the picture thus cropping a few mm from the edges compared to printing the same picture without using the borderless feature.

It prints fine on Epson and generic papers with no noticeable difference in print quality (though longetivy is supposed to be the best with Epson paper). Speed is faster than any Epson I've seen, comparable to a new Canon.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:05 AM   #2

Thanks for the info. I'm going to buy a printer today. I've narrowed it down to the
R800 and the Canon i9900. Have you used the Canon....how do they compare???

PS - I really don't want to do all the research. I just want the best quality photo regardless of speed or cost per print.

:?
drvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:16 AM   #3

Do you need a wide carriage? The Canon i9900 has it, the Epson R800does not. Print quality is very close though from what I've seen and read the R800 is slightly better though you may need a loupe to see the difference. The R800 prints last longer.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:17 PM   #4

Just wanted to add that I did a little tweaking to get the color match as good as I've ever seen with my monitor. This is printing high quality JPGs in the sRGB color space.

The end result is a printer setting of gamma 2.2, with saturation +3 and brightness +6. My monitor is a Sony GDM500-FR set to 6500K with contrast 60 and brightness between 20 and 35 depending on ambient light level. I set these bright / contrast settings using a gamma test pattern for gamma 2.2. Printed output matches the monitor as close as I've ever seen, throughout a wide range of different pictures.

In photo mode the R800 is comparable in speed and quality to a Canon. In Photo RPM mode it's slower but the output quality is the best I have ever seen from any inkjet printer.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:52 PM   #5

Just got my 8.3" wide roll of Epson premium glossy paper today. The R800 driver has good support for roll paper. You can print to any length you want including setting up your own custom page sizes. I set up a 8.27x12.41 size, which is the maximum size you can print a single uncropped shot with my 300D on this printer (you can print longer shots but you'd have to tie multiple shots together to get that longer aspect ratio). It works well and looks fabulous.

Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:58 AM   #6

Hi mrc01,

Glad to hear your Epson r800 works so well, especially with the roll paper. I just bought one off Amazon myself and am waiting on delivery, I was slightly put off by the price of the 8.3" roll paper but I have a couple of true panoramas i'd like to print off so I splashed out!

I just have one question (none of the reviews I read answered this), I know the r800 doesn't have a built-in paper cutter so it will have to be done manually. Is it possible to cut the printed paper without wasting any of the unprinted stuff on the role? Or do you have to accept a certain amount of wastage every time you use the roll paper to print an image?

Thanks

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:22 AM   #7

There always is some waste at the beginning when you feed a roll. The printer doesn't print on the first inch or so. But there is no waste between pictures printed on the same roll feed, nor is there waste at the end of the last picture.

So the best way to economically use the roll is to print your roll pictures in batches.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:39 PM   #8

mrc01 wrote:
Quote:
So the best way to economically use the roll is to print your roll pictures in batches.

Thats usefull to know - thanks for the tip!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:17 PM   #9

WOW!!! If I wasnt confused as to what printer I should buy I sure am now. :?The two leading contenders are the Epson R800, and the Canon i960. Have been reading reviews here, and reading listening to other ppl's views. But having been very happy with my Ol Workhorse Epson 785EPX, and have had bad times with Canon before, now this glowing review...Guess the odds are in the R800's favour

Thanks for the info ,and many hours of happy printing
SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:36 AM   #10

I got my new Epson r800 yesterday and the results are amazing. Without any messing about i get whats on the screen for the first time.Plus i havent had time as yet to play with all the settings yet .Its so fast and quiet, I thought my old 890 was qiuet but this thing is great you have to look or feel for movement to see if its printing.Well done Epson
tommy6206 is offline   Reply With Quote