yellow, I have to do a printhead clean first. It started happening a
couple of days ago.
When I don't use the printer for a day, I have to do the printhaed
clean again to have the yellow back.
From what I see the sponge is all black and this might be the source
of the problem (it mixes with yellow). But it doesn't happen with cyan
and magenta.

To let you see the problem better, I scanned the nozzle checks and a
print of a yellow block, done in MS WORD.

GIFs have about 115Kb each.

This is the link: http://republika.pl/canon_i850/

Any suggestions?

Michael
michael1625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:29 AM   #2

Greetings,

Optically, yellow, as a perceived color, is red and green seen simultaneously in equal intensities. Since your printer uses a distinct yellow channel and there seems to be no way the ink itself can be changing during the printing process, the evidence suggests that your yellow is somehow loosing the optical component of red. Since your printer does not have a red ink channel, this would indicate, somehow, the addition of cyan, which is the subtractive complement of red. the only explanation I can think of to explain these increasingly weird symptoms is that maybe you have a flakey cyan cartridge or some other problem with the cyan channel. In any event the problem does not seen to be in the yellow channel itself.

Hope this helps.

Richard S.
scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:46 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

You must be right, because I see a LOT of blue ink in the sponge. But on the other hand, I remember nowthat the same thing happened a few moth ago (with other ink tank)- but it was hardly noticeable (at the top of the picture) and afterthat print it disappeared.Now it's back again and is much more noticeable.

I called Canon tech support today and they told me that it maybea faultyprinthead - the colours mix inside the printhead and that's why I get a "green yellow".

Maybe I should dip the printhead into distilled water, wait a while and tryagain.

What do you think?

Mike
michael1625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:51 AM   #4

Greetings again,

"I called Canon tech support today and they told me that it may¬*be¬*a faulty¬*printhead - the colours mix inside the printhead and that's why I get a "green yellow".

Maybe I should dip the printhead into distilled water, wait a while and try¬*again.

What do you think?¬*"

Based on all the evidence I think Canon is probably correct but I don't know the architecture of their print heads. Regardless of where it is coming from your yellow channel seems to be getting cyan added from somewere. You might try the distilled water apprach to see if there is a recalcitrant clog somewhere in the printhead causing this but I didn't see any shortage of cyan in the sample scans you posted and if it is misdirected ink it must be lacking somewhere else. If anything, it seemed to me that the cyan, at least what ended up being displayed on my web page, seemed to be overly intense, something I wondered about at the time I looked .

The only other thing I can think of is if there might be a chip somewhere which controls the function of the printhead and that chip is malfunctioning with respect to control of the yellow channel. I don't know with bubble-jet technology how much electronic control resides in the driver software and how much resides apart in the physical printer, if any, so this is pure speculation.

Hope this helps.

Richard S.

scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote